Building a walnut box

Woodworks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.,,I agree with chippy,,,,think I`d have been tempted to use the sawbench,,but looks like you know what your doing,,,a work of art mate

Seriously :001_huh:

Not me I don't like the sawbench. With my old one I had it chuck a 2"x2" piece of oak straight across the workshop and embed itself in the dry lining. I have a bit of a softspot for this old bandsaw. It has proved a trust steed over the years.

On a practical not my reasoning for using the bandsaw is the blade is only 1mm wide so a very neat cut. The circular saws blade is 3.2mm wide so can still have a little wobble with the bandsaw and still less waste. Last box I did before I had decent blades for the bandsaw (thanks James) I cut the lid off by hand with a little Japanese pull saw.Slow but safe.

my bandsaw isnt that accurate, so always use the sawbench with a new blade, I just make the box a little larger to allow for the waste, but hey,if my bandsaw was that goodI would too,,how many hours has this box taken, and is it a commission?

my bandsaw isnt that accurate, so always use the sawbench with a new blade, I just make the box a little larger to allow for the waste, but hey,if my bandsaw was that goodI would too,,how many hours has this box taken, and is it a commission?

Yes it is a commission.

How many hours? hmm a moot point as already made the top twice and frankly I am feeling pretty rusty at this having barely been in the workshop in recent times so a bit more thinking time required. I will let you know when it's done as I was wanting to ask you chaps what you think it's worth without biasing the question with how many hours have gone into it. I have always been rubbish at pricing things up but I have not given a fixed price for this job.

Edited by Woodworks

Thanks for the encouragement :thumbup1:

I wish I loved the process like you. When I have finished a piece I want it out the workshop as I am sick of the sighte of it. The only time I might feel a warm satisfied feeling is if I get to see my work years later when the pain of making is forgotten. This is why I spend more time making firewood instead of furniture these days.

Done some last minute modification as it looked just a bit dull. Have added a piece of cherry around the key hole. For me it has made a big difference and brought it to life. The finish is Liberon finishing oil with a coat of Briwax to add a bit more of a glossy sheen as mat just looked a bit plane.

So what do you think it is worth? It's 18" wide to give some idea on size.

There are no wrong answers and I won't be offended if you say not allot. Its just useful for me to get an impartial view of my work.

After a few suggestions I will own up to many hours it has taken.

Beau

DSC01029.jpg.cba47b63e87ac171df8f64238608aceb.jpg

DSC01027.jpg.d659e900219ae7c52b77d695a1f1a0e7.jpg

DSC01025.jpg.6a24166ef1a31aa6549aaa7fc3a46fbc.jpg

DSC01017.jpg.1dbd818fd5a64f88c91b3bad7e4dcd10.jpg

DSC01016.jpg.eee8c0fa184bc30893a2fe51d25d548a.jpg

Edited by Woodworks