Building a walnut box

Woodworks

Next is cutting them with the Woodrat. This take a fair bit of setting up but takes minutes to cut. I was especially careful after the mistakes I made with the top panel. Last picture is only part put together just to make sure the fit is right.

DSC00938.jpg.d9da0f1d52c28caec07a15f1e8818f66.jpg

DSC00937.jpg.34fdfcfe0785078476a4473f9672a136.jpg

DSC00935.jpg.5fc939861d17fc7237b772fffae87e5c.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning into a top box, and thread. How does the woodrat cope with inconsistent dovetails?

This where it excels as you use the tails you have cut as the guide for the pins. In this picture the tails are clamped up on the left and the pins are cut on the right. There are some reference marks on the left to guide you.

I am not sure how the modern Woodrat is set out as mine is a very early model.

DSC00936.jpg.e00f55affab18ad54cc274cf1e2b24ec.jpg

If your in the market for a Woodrat also look at the Router Boss. It's a blatant rip off of the idea but better built from the pictures I have seen. Info for this is just as bad as the Woodrat thou. For some random information on the two have a look at this site Visitors from

If your ever down this way you would be more than welcome to come have a go on one.

Most of my problems stem from the fact that I can't get wood below 15%mc in my workshop/store. Trying to think of cheap simple ways of addressing this at the mo, but not having a lot of luck.

Re the above problem, I read an article in a magazine a few years ago written by a cabinet maker who described having an open fronted box or cupboard in his workshop with the dehumidifier inside and a clear plastic sheet to cover the front. Roughly dimensioned air dried timber could be placed inside with sticks between each piece and a weight on top, to reduce it's moisture content to a suitable level. Projects being worked on were stored in it overnight or for longer periods. Kiln dried timber which has been stored in the open can also be conditioned in it to reduce the mc back to a suitable level. Obviously the size of box/cupboard limits the size of project that this is suitable for, but I suppose something like a old wardrobe with the doors taken off would provide quite a bit of space. If trying this, one problem to avoid is setting the dehumidifier at too low a setting too soon, otherwise the air dried timber is likely to dry too quickly and may split or distort.

Andrew

I have been cleaning off the planer ripple from what will be the inside of the box with my favorite tool. I love using a sharp scraper plane as it leaves such nice finish regardless of the grain.

Sadly can't progress any more until Parcel force deliver some ceder of Lebanon that I will be using for the base.

DSC00961.jpg.f2e42b0f17ed0cd4d5b54de58fa0eb23.jpg

Well a big thank you to alex_w off Arbtalk for sending me some ceder of Lebenon. I thought I had some in stock but turned out I was wrong and had a bit of a panic at the weekend as I am running out of time on this job. Some pics of it being cut, glued and rebated for the bottom of the box.

DSC00974.jpg.09d1f2232298a833849aad8466660c0e.jpg

DSC00971.jpg.858549f691dc8f98e27d23875a7c9ce1.jpg

DSC00966.jpg.34321cfb3b38179d5c1bdf1b0e22c3e5.jpg