Big saws 880 3120 etc

swinny

I think what happens is all the rubber components in the carb and fuel lines have a coating that keeps the supple . Petrol removes that coating but petrol itself keeps them supple . If you change to aspen after running petrol mix the aspen wont keep the rubber soft and so it cracks . If you run aspen from the start the coating stays on so no problem

Almost. It's actually the ethanol (alcohol) in the petrol that soaks right into the rubber, causing it to swell and reacting chemically with the structure that makes rubber flexible. The ethanol also keeps the rubber supple while it's present, but once it dries out the rubber goes hard and brittle.

Aspen doesn't have any alcohols in it, so doesn't cause the problem.

The problem is set to get much worse btw as the UK is following the US and allowing a much greater amount of ethanol in petrol, which will mean petrol degrades faster, and rots rubber components faster if left standing.

Alec

p.s. I use my 076 for felling larger stuff and the 076/070/090 for milling it, depending what size it is and what mood I'm in.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

088 47" & 36" bars. What a beast. Hasn't been out for a while but when it does make an appearance it certainly does the business.

When I've got bigger timber to ring up at the yard it gets used which not only gives it a chance to have a run but means the job is done in no time!!

advanced arborcare Ltd - Tree Surgeons Poole Home

HI PETE your right mate it very good on large timber fly into beech oak i love thanks jon :thumbup:

Does anyone have experience of using the big makita / dolmar 9000 series. Are they any good.

Powerful but over built in my opinion, the thing is like a tank, 3120 all the way

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

My 3120 has a choke . Not a primer bulb anywhere . Has auto oiler and extra manual oiler as well for the extra long bars

This one has the manual oiler too, but definitely no choke. Has a small primer (about where would expect chojke to be) that you have to pump til it sprays fuel onto the filter. It's a pain in the arse, though if it comes out a bit more regularly it's not half as bad to get going.

Until it's primed it absolutely won't go, and if you spray too much fuel and flood it then you may as well give up and come back to it later......

Dunno exact age but pretty sure it's 1990's - though it's still real tidy.

Edited by Chris Sheppard