modding my a 201t

Johny Walker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An age old argument there.

Sometimes its not about cutting faster, but cutting harder. Being able to cut bigger stuff without the need for a bigger saw. Being able to do a dismantle all the way down to the trunk work. Without changing saws from one to another.

It would need to be a small tree, the tank simply wont hold that much fuel so you have to send it down for a re fill and if you are doing that get a bigger saw sent up, there is no substitute for swept volume.

The main advantage of a gutsy saw is that you can whack out big bits with less chance of a the timber splitting on you

Wow, got a lot of experts on here tonight, been missin all the fun:001_rolleyes:

As far as changing the mix when modding saws, most of what is said is absolute tosh spewed out by people who have never ported a saw in their life:lol:

As you may know, I have tuned a saw or three and I have yet to richen a saw on the H screw when modding a saw.

When you port a saw and do a muffler mod, you increase the flow through the engine and what does that extra flow do when pulled through the carb.......well it increases the pull through the high speed carb circuit - all to do with venturi effect on the H speed check valve - so when you retune the engine, you need to lean the saw down, the ported saws I do, on standard tuning, will be fourstroking like mad on standard tuning and often run on 3/4 screw setting rather than 1 turn and still turn in a dark brown plug colour.

Tuning a ported saw is about plug colour, fourstroking and registering the new top RPM on a tach.

Wow, got a lot of experts on here tonight, been missin all the fun:001_rolleyes:

As far as changing the mix when modding saws, most of what is said is absolute tosh spewed out by people who have never ported a saw in their life:lol:

As you may know, I have tuned a saw or three and I have yet to richen a saw on the H screw when modding a saw.

When you port a saw and do a muffler mod, you increase the flow through the engine and what does that extra flow do when pulled through the carb.......well it increases the pull through the high speed carb circuit - all to do with venturi effect on the H speed check valve - so when you retune the engine, you need to lean the saw down, the ported saws I do, on standard tuning, will be fourstroking like mad on standard tuning and often run on 3/4 screw setting rather than 1 turn and still turn in a dark brown plug colour.

Tuning a ported saw is about plug colour, fourstroking and registering the new top RPM on a tach.

There you go. Knew he would put it in a way everyone could understand. :001_rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbup1:

So doing an exhaust mod on a 200t and not re tuning it wouldn't put the saw at risk of seizing then, would make it to rich instead?

Not necessarily, an exhaust mod alone will not richen the mix up that much. A tach tune is always advised. You are more at risk from a lean running saw than a rich running saw. Plug colour is always important.

having just bought the fast tach Spud, do you therefore use the max feature and adjust back from that, as I noted on a hedge trimmer the reading was dancing all over.

getting ready to fine tune the 090 2mrw morn in the neighbour hood. you know, a 137cc wake up call of the greater stihl bird type :laugh1: