for wage or fame????

stewie

right from the onset i know this is going to cause controversy.....:biggrin: but its a question ive always wanted to ask the arborist world.......ill tell you know im no arborist........NOOOOOOOOO FREAKING WAY could i do the stuff you guys do day in, day out :001_huh: but ill have a go at small trees, conifer hedge, deadwooding and such like.........big dismantle quote comes in then im on the phone........:biggrin:

now this is where i begin my question.......i went to look at a job few weeks back........just cutting hedges, strimming the jungle of a garden down and raking everything into a compost pile....... got the job and took 2 hrs........ nice easy £40 in your pocket on a friday afternoon when on your way home.........:thumbup:

so i get paid and the lady asked about her conker :biggrin: tree and taking a huge limb down as it hangs over her neighbours garden and is blocking there aerial! i said i no a guy who does it, ill get him to look at it for her........... turns out guy i normally ring is away so i googled a local tree surgery firm.........guy comes in a truck that under no certain terms you cant fail to see he is a TREE SURGEON.........he gets out telling me this and that needs doing, saying all his courses his passed, who he has worked for etc but then he drew me in with the talk of this hitch, them spikes, new rope, old chainsaws..........im like FFS mate just give me a price.........:confused1: he looks up and down the tree scratching his chin...."ill do it over two days for 1500".......:cursing: i said leaf it...........:biggrin: my fully qualified arborist friend came home the week after, showed it him "500 and go halves mate"..........sound....:biggrin: and a good few rings each each........:thumbup: he had it on the deck in 20 mins...........all with a prussic on a mainline, an old butterfly harness and a 020t :biggrin: all logged up and away in around 3 hrs........:001_smile: customer more than happy and were off with good wage, good load of logs each and the neighbours got TV again..........:lol:

just think some off you arborists think its more than what it is at times......no doubt its a dangerous job but its a job that can be done on basic equipment but you boys pricing all the latest shiny gear into your prices ruin it for the ones who work to live, not live to work................:sneaky2:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up to date Gear, Hitches, Ropes and courses should make the job faster and more efficient thus represent better value, sounds like a chancer to me. The right gear and knowledge should halve the time in the tree not take 2 days!!!

Would agree that a lot of green "tree surgeions" come out of college expecting inflated wages.

Give me the latest shiny gear over old skool 3 strand and mw harness i learned on though.

right from the onset i know this is going to cause controversy.....:biggrin: but its a question ive always wanted to ask the arborist world.......ill tell you know im no arborist........NOOOOOOOOO FREAKING WAY could i do the stuff you guys do day in, day out :001_huh: but ill have a go at small trees, conifer hedge, deadwooding and such like.........big dismantle quote comes in then im on the phone........:biggrin:

now this is where i begin my question.......i went to look at a job few weeks back........just cutting hedges, strimming the jungle of a garden down and raking everything into a compost pile....... got the job and took 2 hrs........ nice easy £40 in your pocket on a friday afternoon when on your way home.........:thumbup:

so i get paid and the lady asked about her conker :biggrin: tree and taking a huge limb down as it hangs over her neighbours garden and is blocking there aerial! i said i no a guy who does it, ill get him to look at it for her........... turns out guy i normally ring is away so i googled a local tree surgery firm.........guy comes in a truck that under no certain terms you cant fail to see he is a TREE SURGEON.........he gets out telling me this and that needs doing, saying all his courses his passed, who he has worked for etc but then he drew me in with the talk of this hitch, them spikes, new rope, old chainsaws..........im like FFS mate just give me a price.........:confused1: he looks up and down the tree scratching his chin...."ill do it over two days for 1500".......:cursing: i said leaf it...........:biggrin: my fully qualified arborist friend came home the week after, showed it him "500 and go halves mate"..........sound....:biggrin: and a good few rings each each........:thumbup: he had it on the deck in 20 mins...........all with a prussic on a mainline, an old butterfly harness and a 020t :biggrin: all logged up and away in around 3 hrs........:001_smile: customer more than happy and were off with good wage, good load of logs each and the neighbours got TV again..........:lol:

just think some off you arborists think its more than what it is at times......no doubt its a dangerous job but its a job that can be done on basic equipment but you boys pricing all the latest shiny gear into your prices ruin it for the ones who work to live, not live to work................:sneaky2:

I guess really you answered your own question.

Do some people try and get away with blinding you with BS, yeah 'course, same in every trade.