Which size winch for large Beech Butts

cessna

Which size winch do you suggest/use,for winching up to 4ft diameter by 6ft Long beech butts(sawn up beech trunk), UP very steep banks. I have an MF390 4W.D drive tractor,with front end loader on it, to put the winch on and I can hire Case 170,if need be. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

pie * dia squared/4 times length=1.13m2 by 1.8m long

= near nuff 2.0m3

To be on the safe side assume 1.0tonne/m3

so allow for 2 tonne ( but realistically between 1 and 1.5 tonne in weight, depending how dry or wet)

3 tonne would hoist 3 tonne straight up.

so depending on ground restistence, snags and drag factor.

3 tonne winch should be fine.

Remembering max pulling force with rope right out, so effectively lower geared (effectively smaller pully winding rope in, when on next to bare drum)

but 4 or 5 tonne certainly wood/would.

MF390 should be fine regardless of winch size.

I suspect the Case 170 would pull them up on a fixed wire/strop/chain, presuming it could get reasonable traction on reasonably flat ground.

cheer

marcus

Treat all above with a pinch of salt.

Others may offer better informed advice.

I only winch Conifers with an old DB1490 and 5 tonne winch

Given the diameter, they're going to try and dig in more than a long but thinner stick, plus taking into account they're going up hill rather than flat or downhill, I'd suggest something fairly sizable - probably 5T as a minimum (just because it says 5T, don't expect it to pull a 5T stick)

Chances are, you'd find that anything smaller wouldn't really sit well behind the 390 either.

If you have to use a snatch block, try and get one with a pulley that has quite a large diameter so as to put less stress on the cable - too tight of a radius and there's a greater chance of it snapping.

If it's really steep and there's a suitable anchor, it might be worth putting a redirect in to keep the wire off the lip of the bank - but don't underestimate just how strong the spar tree needs to be - it's not uncommon to pull the spar over and there's been at least one guy killed from it in the UK in the past.

Are you looking to buy one or hire one? If hiring, I'd be trying to find someone with either a big 3pl winch and tractor to suit, or something like a cookes/hesford/boughton with anchors.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Which size winch do you suggest/use,for winching up to 4ft diameter by 6ft Long beech butts(sawn up beech trunk), UP very steep banks. I have an MF390 4W.D drive tractor,with front end loader on it, to put the winch on and I can hire Case 170,if need be. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi mate we have a mf399 with cast rear wheels and water that's very with a 6ton winch but far have you got to pull butts as if you have 100mt of rope on but the butts are only 50 mt down you lost a lot of pull as there's to much rope on

Hi mate we have a mf399 with cast rear wheels and water that's very with a 6ton winch but far have you got to pull butts as if you have 100mt of rope on but the butts are only 50 mt down you lost a lot of pull as there's to much rope on winc