Firewood Business?

Vertigo Arb Ltd

In my opinion and please remember it is just my opinion the best or only way to make worthwhile money from logs is to process your arb arisings (illegal or not that hasn't been answered). I try and and ring all my timber at the earliest opportunity if that means an extra hour a day then so be it! I then split it hydraulically and crate it and it's more or less all profit! Ok theres a bit of fuel in the saw but that gets worked into the cost of the job and delivery which I offer free within 10 miles so I make decent money (mostly cash) from my logs!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you can make half decent money out of firewood, just got to be efficient and watch out for handling logs a number of times. dont try and compete with the cheapest guys, try and supply the best logs around and charge a premium for it, thats what i do and repeat trade and word of mouth keeps me very busy. Farming is my main game, and firewood is a successful diversification for me. Works well for me.

The only time there was real money in logs was when I used to get the timber cut out when hedgelaying as perks of the job, soon as you start buying it in, it brings the margin right down, I do buy in as I need firewood for my own use so so sell to few regulars to cover the costs of production, as an old woodsman told me long time ago firewood is a hard way to make a living :laugh1:

haha so it isn't just my customers what think they know about wood. I had one once trying to tell me my load of oak was SCOTS PINE! :lol:

And I had a customer, a "friend", tell me the oak that had been seasoned for more than three years had water pouring out of it when he stacked it!!!

And I had a customer, a "friend", tell me the oak that had been seasoned for more than three years had water pouring out of it when he stacked it!!!

Keep a moisture meter in the truck, demo the MC to the customer before you tip, no issues then if he lets them get wet that night.

A

The only time there was real money in logs was when I used to get the timber cut out when hedgelaying as perks of the job, soon as you start buying it in, it brings the margin right down, I do buy in as I need firewood for my own use so so sell to few regulars to cover the costs of production, as an old woodsman told me long time ago firewood is a hard way to make a living :laugh1:

One old woodsman told me " It's not a job but a way of life". The next comment was " If you want to make a million out the woods start with two and you will end up with one".

were still waiting for you to elaborate on this ,chop,chop :001_rolleyes:

clearly with your expertize you should already know? (that you claim i cant afford:laugh1:) EA have already had prosecutions, but with you been an expert :confused1:

no doubt you will be telling us yet again about a pellet firm that got done:001_rolleyes:

I know you can make half decent money out of firewood, just got to be efficient and watch out for handling logs a number of times. dont try and compete with the cheapest guys, try and supply the best logs around and charge a premium for it, thats what i do and repeat trade and word of mouth keeps me very busy. Farming is my main game, and firewood is a successful diversification for me. Works well for me.

Some truth in here. I deliver about four artic loads of timber a month to a little old man and his mucker. He is and has been flat out all year with his logs for a number of years now. He has a splitter and conveyor belt going straight into 1 ton bags , he has a beaten up forklift to stack and load the bags. He makes very light work of this and he has done very well out of it. He is just organized.

Bob

clearly with your expertize you should already know? (that you claim i cant afford:laugh1:) EA have already had prosecutions, but with you been an expert :confused1:

no doubt you will be telling us yet again about a pellet firm that got done:001_rolleyes:

that still doesn't tell us why its against the law, i'm not being funny woody but I would genuinely like to know why its an offence, cos if it is the case arbtalk is going to go quiet cos half of us will be locked up:001_smile: