Cost per ton of cords?

Steve_in_devon

I live near Exeter and at the moment I am buying in my firewood at a ton at a time. I cut it up myself, as I find this the cheapest way to buy wood in.

It is mostly oak and I am paying £85/ton delivered.

Is that reasonable?

Is there anyway of buying in bigger loads?

Wow. That sounds a lot to me. Most firewood people I know/worked for cord wood by the lorry load. Last year paying max £50 per tonne. Good hazel and birch fire wood that my dad sold last winter was around £36 at roadside.

Sent using

It equates to about 3 dumpy bags, and so a cost of around £28 per dumpy bag.

To buy dumpy bags cut and split, the cheapest I can find is about £45.

I dont sell to other people, its just for my consumption. I used about 4tons last winter.

I would happily pay £50 per tonne and by in 5 or 6 tonnes if I could, but no idea where to get that type of load from.

£85 for a delivered ton at a time does not sound bad to me. Just ordered my first wagon load (16ton) and costing £60 per ton delivered. So on small quantities I can see why you have to pay £85.

Try the local farmers for 5-6 ton load.

I live near Exeter and at the moment I am buying in my firewood at a ton at a time. I cut it up myself, as I find this the cheapest way to buy wood in.

It is mostly oak and I am paying £85/ton delivered.

Is that reasonable?

Is there anyway of buying in bigger loads?

You could always ring your local tree surgeons and ask them. Remember it will almost certainly be green and make sure you know what it is. You dont want sweet chestnut on an open fire or be told its oak when its willow . It might be easier with smaller loads though. i give away some logs if it makes the job quicker, just take a full load home at the end!

Some of the local councils are now selling cord wood. Milton Keynes for instance sells 5 tonne loads delivered within 5 miles of MK using a Valmet and timber trailer.

A

Its strange how cord wood price is fairly even across the country yet the price of the end product varies wildly. We live in a fairly wealthy part of Hampshire yet people sell logs all over for £60 a cubic metre loose loaded.

If we cant deliver cord wood to the end user on a tractor how come the council can ?

If we cant deliver cord wood to the end user on a tractor how come the council can ?

You can you just have to use white diesel & make sure the tax / insurance is valid for that usage.

Some of the local councils are now selling cord wood. Milton Keynes for instance sells 5 tonne loads delivered within 5 miles of MK using a Valmet and timber trailer.

A

Hi, have you got any contact details for them?

Joe