When is a tree not safe to climb.

Cov Climber

Hi everyone,

I could be on a job where a dead tree needs dismantling.

The tree is a big beech which has been dead about two years. it looks solid enough to climb but when and how do you class a tree not safe to climb?

There will be no lowering so no shock loading on the tree.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

There will be different answers from different people.

Personally I would say

However long its been dead - it's the condition of it on the day you would climb.

What killed it? How brittle is it? How high would you need to climb?

Could it be felled? can you get a crane in? Is there a good tree nearby you could use for access?

Some people say if a tree is standing after some stong winds it MUST be able to take a climber on a mild day.

You could try throwing a rope around a branch slightly smaller than ones you would use while climbing then get two of you to yo yo on the end of the rope.

Only climb if YOU are CERTAIN its safe to do so.

Hopefully others may be able to offer other rules of thumb to help

whats hapening to the wood????

i need beech for my skittle turning buisness in large squares 5-6" by whatever length they are felled in.

assuming the tree is not completely roten or spalted then i may be interested. i dont mind colour variation but cant have any spalting at all as any form of rot is too weak for my purposes.

i would also like to know what killed it and if it can be kept in decent sized chunks would like someone to cut it in to squares for me.

could i have a pic of the tree?

Hi everyone,

I could be on a job where a dead tree needs dismantling.

The tree is a big beech which has been dead about two years. it looks solid enough to climb but when and how do you class a tree not safe to climb?

There will be no lowering so no shock loading on the tree.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the beech I'm doing in the morning. I checked around the flare, no signs of decay or movement, so good to go. I'll probably tie in a little lower than usual, but will only make that decision on the ascent.

Just take a little more care until you get a feel for it, but be observant for decay and structural problems as you work around the canopy. You may find that although the woods solid it gets a bit short grained.