Starting small...

Little Butch

I supply a few pubs only and it pays for maintenance on the saws and some nice weekends away. The pubs chew through them. Big inglenook fireplaces equals big logs equals less cutting equals more profit.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im the same im only doing it in a small way as most of the stuff i do is for myself and family but in the last 2 years i have payed for a splitter £800 chainsaw and a tipper trailer at £350 with the procceds and had money on top of that but where i am i shift a cube of hardwood at £80 so there is a bit mor money in it and all the wood i have is free as i get it form our farm and then i have no fuel cost for the tractor either so win win

A tenner a load to him? I think you need to be alittle more precise on this deal. If you're doing small loads, it's a large percentage and certainly your profit gone, so I'd be borrowing your Dads Landie and getting good value from this. Of course, it cuts both ways, he could stockpile the timber and sell it on himself and make some cash too.

If I was him, I'd be paying you a days wage to do the logging and delivering for me, it would make more sense.

anyway, good luck with your venture Little Butch :thumbup1:

A tenner a load to him? I think you need to be alittle more precise on this deal. If you're doing small loads, it's a large percentage and certainly your profit gone, so I'd be borrowing your Dads Landie and getting good value from this. Of course, it cuts both ways, he could stockpile the timber and sell it on himself and make some cash too.

If I was him, I'd be paying you a days wage to do the logging and delivering for me, it would make more sense.

anyway, good luck with your venture Little Butch :thumbup1:

a cube can be cut, split sold in under an hour so lets go with £65 per cube (you can get up to £85+ depending on market)

tenner to him = £55

tenner to your car= £45

tenner to your saw, chain wear, petrol and redbull= £35

fiver on packaging if necessary= £30

that leaves you with £30 for that hour. say you worked a 6hour day that will give you £180 profit.:thumbup1:

your boss could pay you to do this and you may get £60 for your 6 hour day and he could go home with £120 for watching

my opinion sell a few loads. at the end you will either be skint or mint, probably more mint than skint

I started out in a similar way matey and yeah i would say give it a go. If you do landy pick up loads and only have to pay a tenner for the wood and the yard space etc then you will definately be making a few quid there. Say do 2 loads on a saturday morning on your own, £20 to the boss, £20 fuel for truck, £20oils fuel chain ware etc....£20 other costs, £120 for a sat morning aint bad if selling for £100 a load!

• 2 weeks later...

When I started out in tree work,doing logs saved my business. I remember waking up on a snowy January morning with 50 quid or so left in my business account and thinking that's it I've failed. I went outside to think things over, picked up the axe and started to take my frustration out on a pile of oak (that was destined for the local recycling centre). Got myself a little fire going next to the pile and before i knew it I had split about 4 loads!! Phoned a few customers who had previously asked if I did logs and before I knew it I had money again.

It hasn't made me a fortune but it fills a gap very nicely.

It's my little reminder to myself that there is always something you can do to turn it around.

Keep it small and simple to start with. Don't sell your product cheap, and enjoy a very satisfying job - splitting firewood!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

When I started out in tree work,doing logs saved my business. I remember waking up on a snowy January morning with 50 quid or so left in my business account and thinking that's it I've failed. I went outside to think things over, picked up the axe and started to take my frustration out on a pile of oak (that was destined for the local recycling centre). Got myself a little fire going next to the pile and before i knew it I had split about 4 loads!! Phoned a few customers who had previously asked if I did logs and before I knew it I had money again.

It hasn't made me a fortune but it fills a gap very nicely.

It's my little reminder to myself that there is always something you can do to turn it around.

Keep it small and simple to start with. Don't sell your product cheap, and enjoy a very satisfying job - splitting firewood!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Inspirational that!

completely agree with that, logs have saved my backside many times! cut and split some whenever you can, forget about the bit of time and fuel money and then a few months later a couple of hours loading/unloading and you have a hundred quid or so, nice!

Hi you have to start someware! When i started about eight years ago i was told by family and friend that i had no chance competeing with the astablished firewood men in are area,so i just started selling netts of logs from the gate that has now progressed to about 5000 a year + land rover and ldv tipper loads and i have a lot of the customers that userd to go to the professional log producers. good luck

chris