Exhaust fumes

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of quite a few cases of people having developed sensitivity to wood dust, sometimes to specific species rather than all wood dust, but as TGB said above, any particulate matter is not good for the respiratory system whether it originates from dust in the house, smoking, fires, wood dust etc etc

Back to original thread, 'Is wood dust safe to breath?', that is a good question...anyone know any research etc?

A similar thought (should you wear a mask to move wood chip): I had a client a few weeks a ago who had to be taken in an ambulance to hospital,ended up in intensive care after breathing spores from woodchip mulch that had been left in a heap for a couple of weeks. she was moving it to top up woodland paths in her garden and ended up with serious fungal infection on her lungs, still very ill several months later. Chip was from healthy Lime trees.

This site might be of use reference safety of wood dust:

Wood Allergies and Toxicity | The Wood Database

I'm definitely going to get some Aspen for milling on those calmer, still days. Chain milled a large Elm last week and with the lack of air movement, it was unpleasant. It's not such an issue on windy days.

I take it that's 'calm and drizzling' as opposed to 'blowing a gale and chucking it down'? You wouldn't be trying to have us believe you've got sunshine would you....:001_tt2:

Alec

I take it that's 'calm and drizzling' as opposed to 'blowing a gale and chucking it down'? You wouldn't be trying to have us believe you've got sunshine would you....:001_tt2:

Alec

Haha! :001_tt2::laugh1:

It's been very warm and dry here for quite some time. Apart from the odd minute shower, we've not had any rain for 12 days, and even then it was one torrential downpour after several dry weeks. The ground is very dry here, we've had a full week of 15-25 celcius (bloody 24 in the shade at the yard yesterday - too warm!) and it's set to continue for another 10 days.

So, aye, we do get good weather now and again! Even swam 700m today across a reservoir and back (water 17c).

Jonathan

I can see the sense in this especially when milling= standing next to the saw for long periods rather than moving about. I'm now 60% thinking of going down the aspen route. I'm thinking 2 stroke machines to start with especially ms200T and hedge cutters maybe even strimmers as the exhaust is by your head. £10 per gallon extra will probably cost us between £30 and £60 a week. Now, I've just got to get a local supplier nailed down and a method of container disposal.:001_smile:

I can see the sense in this especially when milling= standing next to the saw for long periods rather than moving about. I'm now 60% thinking of going down the aspen route. I'm thinking 2 stroke machines to start with especially ms200T and hedge cutters maybe even strimmers as the exhaust is by your head. £10 per gallon extra will probably cost us between £30 and £60 a week. Now, I've just got to get a local supplier nailed down and a method of container disposal.:001_smile:

Hi, Great to hear you are going to try Aspen!

The can's will go in household plastic recycling if empty.

The five litres cans are made of the same plastic as milk bottles.

Check our dealer map Aspen Fuel :: Home and if you don't have a dealer near you let me know who you use and I will see if they will stock Aspen fuels.

Let me know how you get on

all the best

Eddie