How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

I wonder what would happen to the industry if all the people required to do refreshers boycotted the scheme?

It seems to me that we all moan a lot about this kind of thing, but never really resist it.

I suppose that the big companies would implement it, leaving them the only ones qualified to undertake any works, and the little guys would loose all work.

HOWEVER...

I have a plan. Arbtalk has been a great way of getting people together at meets round the country. how about we arrange meets and lay on refresher training? I't would be fairly easy to arrange a programme and facilities, and nominate someone to do the actual training. I could arrange several sites for climbing and felling on my doorstep, and we could approach it with the usuall cameraderie and enjoyment of a meet.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOWEVER...

I have a plan. Arbtalk has been a great way of getting people together at meets round the country. how about we arrange meets and lay on refresher training? I't would be fairly easy to arrange a programme and facilities, and nominate someone to do the actual training. I could arrange several sites for climbing and felling on my doorstep, and we could approach it with the usuall cameraderie and enjoyment of a meet.

Very good call Ed!!

Some good comments and ideas there.

I got halfway through typing something but then thought why bother I would only get flamed for it and deleted it all :bored:

Anyway on a positive note, just incase any one is interested or havent seen it before I have attached the training and certification booklet by AFAG has a nice little table at the end desrcribing what training is recommended etc.

Worth a quick look I think.[ATTACH]11812[/ATTACH]

way back some one asked me to put my long post in short form

hears a try

government decides all industries must have standards for there work force

thay create people to set thos standards call sector skills councils SSC

SSC write the standards to cover every one from the begginer to the very experianced these are calles National ocupational standards NOS

so that we know who is wear on the scale of begginer to experiance they create job profiles and set what bits of the NOS need to be passed to have a level of skill just like the differance between a gcse and an a level

the nptc right certificate sylibas to match bits of the NOS so they can have them recognised at a natioanl level

so when a nos is re done the certs need to be re done ??

any clearer??

kev

and in answer to the question why do trainer and assessors become trainer assessors,

i can only talk for me, i spent many years doing and while i was doing all the time was told i had a natural ability to teach and found that i loved helping people develop.

i spent a lot of time and money qualifying as a trainer, a teacher, and assessor etc, and then getting specifically qualified in fealids i was sutiably experianced in .

it was not easy at all, but i love it, i really do enjoy my job as when im actually doing work work it reminds me why i came in to this line of work and when im trying to help others develop its great to see them start to realise.

ive taught achademic and vocational stuff, and enjoy bot just as much, alas these days i find my self being moor and moor bound to the office and less and less doing.

how ever and this is an important point picked up earlier, i and the trainers i manage all do still take the time to get out and do some doing a few times a year.

there is always a balance to be struck, but a long time ago a man a lot wiser than i called john harraway told me ' you must get out and keep doing it, you must also keep reviewing your teaching notes and their referance or after a while you will start beliving and teaching your own propergander'

wise wise words and i still try to follow them

cheers all

I wonder what would happen to the industry if all the people required to do refreshers boycotted the scheme?

It seems to me that we all moan a lot about this kind of thing, but never really resist it.

I suppose that the big companies would implement it, leaving them the only ones qualified to undertake any works, and the little guys would loose all work.

HOWEVER...

Yup I'll go with that !

quote=Mr Ed;112466]I wonder what would happen to the industry if all the people required to do refreshers boycotted the scheme?

HOWEVER...

should said goverment not be putting somthing simlar in place for bank bosses & mp,s & lets see what pooh they kick up when there in this postion ? as we now know mp,s , bank bosses dont have any qualifictions to do what they do :thumpdown:

Refresher training does not mean retake all your tests. It means refresh your skills. Apparrently just taking one new CS module ie. large trees or wind thrown trees is enough to refresh all your CS units as you must prove the basics to be able to complete the more advanced module. Also training is not a prerequisite of assessment. I took my chipper and climb/rescue/saw in tree units without training. Had i failed one subsection of the unit , that is the only part I would have needed to retake.

and in answer to the question why do trainer and assessors become trainer assessors,

i can only talk for me, i spent many years doing and while i was doing all the time was told i had a natural ability to teach and found that i loved helping people develop.

i spent a lot of time and money qualifying as a trainer, a teacher, and assessor etc, and then getting specifically qualified in fealids i was sutiably experianced in .

it was not easy at all, but i love it, i really do enjoy my job as when im actually doing work work it reminds me why i came in to this line of work and when im trying to help others develop its great to see them start to realise.

ive taught achademic and vocational stuff, and enjoy bot just as much, alas these days i find my self being moor and moor bound to the office and less and less doing.

how ever and this is an important point picked up earlier, i and the trainers i manage all do still take the time to get out and do some doing a few times a year.

there is always a balance to be struck, but a long time ago a man a lot wiser than i called john harraway told me ' you must get out and keep doing it, you must also keep reviewing your teaching notes and their referance or after a while you will start beliving and teaching your own propergander'

wise wise words and i still try to follow them

cheers all

Ive worked for 60+ companies over the years so have also mentored many climbers and groundworkers along the way, but primarily it is for money and not simply for the love of helping people. I'd like my questions answering if its not too much trouble....here they are again. Thanks:

If these refresher courses were free, then I don’t think there would be so much resentment from the people who have already paid for training and certification in the past….but the fact is that it sticks in the gut that some people are going to make money out of the workers as a result. Speaking of which, were any such non-related workers ever consulted about the changes?

Where do we recuperate this time and cost in an industry that is already starved of profit and choked with red-tape….pass it onto the customer, in a looming depression? Do any such considerations even enter the running?

Are there any assessors/trainers/consultants who are voluntarily involved as such?

If that were the case all round, I wonder then if assessors and trainers alike would still be so insistent on pushing for the 5 yearly refresher courses!

In becoming an assessor/trainer, would either one or all of you like to declare where lays your primary incentive for this direction in your respective career? Thanks

If these refresher courses were free, then I don’t think there would be so much resentment from the people who have already paid for training and certification in the past….but the fact is that it sticks in the gut that some people are going to make money out of the workers as a result. Speaking of which, were any such non-related workers ever consulted about the changes?

wel lthe question hear is affectivly asked, that depends on you and your organiosations etc, were i work the links were circulated to all managers t pass down to staff sa appropriate, it appeared in hort week all over the show, but the issue is if you dont read them you will miss out, that is why a forum such as this is valuble, as it has made people aware of this last stage of consultation and let them know to speak up about the content ofthe awards. as a by the side remember it is the content of the award, not any requirments for it that is being consultated.