How to crash an industry

Pete Mctree

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt an issue just affecting the Arb side of the industry. The forestry sector are complaining of exactly the same problems. Lantra obviously have something out of kilter with the working world. Surely, as Lantra is the industry's Sector Skills Council, it must have a responsibility to deal with the problems. To have a say on Lantra matters, you need to approved by them, which, to a cynic would say they would only entertain yes-men. How many of Lantra's Trees & Timber Group actually earn a living from this industry? Lantra needs to involve contractors, who are in at the deep end of the work, to be taken seriously.

(comments taken from FCA newsletter)

My analogy is on the same lines of Reg's

To me it sounds like you have gone through nursery school, junior's and secondary, then when you get on to college and working, the education board turns round and tells you your junior education has been updated and you need to go back to junior school

Absolutely ridiculous :confused1:

My take on it

The reality is that no amount of discussion on this forum will make any difference to any interested bodies.

Arbtalk is the closest thing the UK arb industry has to a think tank. Hundreds of professional tree surgeons from all over the UK and beyond discussing all aspects of treework, if there are no representatives on here from your 'interested parties' then their credibilty will be reduced over time until no-one will take any notice of them whatsoever.

At least Colin Bashford is representing the ISA, whose representing the AA, AFAG, NPTC and LANTRA?

Arbtalk is the closest thing the UK arb industry has to a think tank. Hundreds of professional tree surgeons from all over the UK and beyond discussing all aspects of treework, if there are no representatives on here from your 'interested parties' then their credibilty will be reduced over time until no-one will take any notice of them whatsoever.

At least Colin Bashford is representing the ISA, whose representing the AA, AFAG, NPTC and LANTRA?

I think that's a very good point. of course some prefer to not represent them here as it allows them some freedom to express dissident views. Or of course they're scared of abuse.

Arbtalk is the closest thing the UK arb industry has to a think tank.

I know that, and you know that, but to the AA, AFAG, NPTC, and LANTRA, I dont believe we even exist as of yet.

your 'interested parties'

They arent my interested parties thanks very much.

Sorry if this has been covered already in the thread but..

..last time they changed these units, as far as I can remember, they told us the old ones were valid, and there was an opportunity to "convert". I had cs10, 11 and a few others, plus CS20, 21 and 22, and was able to convert them to the equivalent 30, etc, units. A few years later, they then announced that the old 10 etc and 20 etc units would expire after all. Have I remembered this right? Will there be a chance for people with CS30 etc units to "convert" to the new units this time?