Topping out - good / bad practice?

Sciadopitys

I always use my strop on the side D's was told in training about the potential hazards as you say.

Are there many case's where this has happened or is it just one of those it could happen things?

Mester, I worked for a company in the US, their safety guy was an Australian former climber.

He had to retire from climbing. He was taking out a large lateral limb about 12 inches diam 35 ft long, he was tied into his side Ds, as he went through with the top cut the huge branch split and pulled him in so severly that he crushed his internal organs and was within minutes of death if it werent for an air ambulance. He has to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of his life.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was he tied in below the limb then tim..?

He was tied in round the limb below the cut with his flipline side D to side D which had a micrograb as an adjuster. But he had his main line in above on the main stem which was hanging loose. The main line saved him but he was hanging like a dead dog after the big limb split. He had to be rescued from 40ft. The rescuer was a climber of 15 years experience.

Mester, I worked for a company in the US, their safety guy was an Australian former climber.

He had to retire from climbing. He was taking out a large lateral limb about 12 inches diam 35 ft long, he was tied into his side Ds, as he went through with the top cut the huge branch split and pulled him in so severly that he crushed his internal organs and was within minutes of death if it werent for an air ambulance. He has to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of his life.

I don't wish too disrespect the guy, but that is a very predictable accident.

Just plain bad practice. :thumbdown:

Yup-Reed Utilities in Banbury had that one a few years ago-Court case n stuff, big split out n tears, guy got his c-bag too, very nasty, ( no compensation tho)

K

another ex reedy theres a good thread :scared1: did you work with pete jackson ? we had that happen to a trainee, forman @ fault basicly said climb or walk lucky northern lecy had a jcb on site went up in bucket to get him out kid was shaking like a dog .he felled a 30" limb out with a husky 13" bar one lucky kid

Thanks for the tips on the avatar pic fellas, i was a little low, but not quite as low as the camera angle makes it seem! I will bear all these points in mind when i next take a big top out. I got taught by some guys in the States to take the spliced end of your climbing line and tie a running bowline around the stem with a long tail on the spliced end that hangs down the stem at approx the length you wanna block it down after knocking the top out, then leave ur friction hitch attached but back it up with a figure 8 as u are only on 1 end of a doubled rope system and the friction hoitch experiences twice the load as normal. Once the top goes over you can desend on the line, kick in ur spkies, lanyard on and use the spliced hanging tail to slacken the running bowline and it falls to ur waist, just tighten it again and ur ready to roll. NO NEED TO UNTIE THE BOWLINE, BY TUGGING THE SPLICED END IT LOOSENS IT AND IT JUST SLIDES DOWN THE TRUNK TO YOU!

I got told this is safe as it prevents the 'circle of death' created by a wire flip line should a large stem split and pin you. Also provides a quick way of getting down in an emergency and also makes rescue simple.

Anyone use this method??

good system and well explained

i learnt this on a REFRESHER and have used it lots since

Bloody hell does sound like a nasty one:scared1:

Cheers for the info :thumbup1:

Did he put a gob in the limb or was he just doing a top cut or step cut etc?

Do many of you lot use a wire core flip line when top out or chogging down?

If so how would it be best to use one that was on the side D's I'm thinking maybe just use it on the main climbing krab but dont know if it would work very well.

I dont use one myself on topping out but do most of the time while chogging.

Hardly ever get the chance to top massive sections out anyway due to the fact it would usually result in someones house,garage,shed,conservatory fence or lawn being obliterated:001_smile: