Harness: Decisions, Decisions.

craigblues

Morning All!

Well first off I would like to say WorcsWuss what a gent. He showed me all his arb equipment and climbing gear. Talked me through everything and it was all thoroughly enjoyable. I even climbed about 10ft (prob not event that) but it was my first tree climb on a harness and rope. It was Fantastic!! I can tell this is going to be an expensive hobby.

So, I am torn really as unfortunately there is not an Arb supplies near enough to pop along and look at all the harnesses side by side. (Not a bad thing in the long run I suppose as I would be in there every week buying stuff, queued behind Simon.)

So to begin with I thought just splash out and get a treemotion but after speaking to Simon and reading alot of threads, it maybe too much and too big for me as I'm only a skinny chap. I am now considering the Petzel Sequoia as it seems to be a mid-priced harness and have everything I would require. The only thing I'm unsure about is the plastic clips on waist and legs.

Any further advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had the harness your thinking of buying and have never had a problem with the clips. As with everything keep on top of your maintenace and itll be all good.

I remember someone on here said one of there clips had broken or spring came out?? But he went straight to petzl and received a replacement part.

All in all i like the harness and people i know of and i havent had problems with it in 3+ years

I've had both the sequoia and the tree motion tbh both are lovely. The sequoia is a very comfortable harness that allows great freedom of movement. If I wasn't spending most of my days sitting in it, I'd have stuck with it.

The tree motion is a superior harness but I don't think you'd notice the difference between them if you are just starting out, especially if you aren't planning on hanging a saw from your hip! The tree motion is endlessly adaptable and I fit mine out with different gear for different tasks.

The plastic parts of the clips on the sequoia are not weight bearing, they are just the sprung gate part that locks the two mettle parts together so there is no worries about it not holding your weight.

But as for trying harnesses out, it is a bit of a gamble as some people love one harness and others will hate it. The thing to remember is that no harness will be 100% comfortable 100% of the time. Sometimes to get to that awkward limb or to sit in a position for a long time you just have to griz it out.

Lastly. Just remember, low and slow when learning, make sure you know how to tie all your nots and reset your system before you leave the floor otherwise you might get stuck up the top!

Sent using my pudgy fingers on my phone.

Just been to buy a harness and got told about a lad who fell out of a sequoia due to the clips opening put me right off

Probably told you that so you spend another 100quid on a harness in the shop.Never heard of this happening was it in the paper? Guys have been climbing in the sequoias for yrs,the only bad thing about it for me is if you have a lot of gear on you and a big saw it's not the best!

I've got a sequoia and only been doing it a little while! Great piece of kit! And not ridiculously over priced at the moment! The clips are sound, the story must have been someone who was too silly to realise you need to clip them together when you climb :S

Tbh a lot of the kit is how it feels with you, after 10 months or so I know a lot of people in the industry are sheep and just follow what everyone else says us best!

Hope you chose well dude ;)