How do you keep yourself fueled?

Woodworks

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few ideas I have read about from a nutritionist might help; Suggest a mix of carbohydrates and proteins for breakfast. For example porridge, eggs(scrambled) and grilled sausage. Use whole milk, not skimmed.

Then homemade energy bars during the day. Make them up at the weekend baked in a tray, use porridge oats, malt extract, Golden Syrup, first press rape seed oil, butter, with a few chopped up seeds, nuts and dried fruit.

A few Brazil nuts as snacks. Wholemeal bread sandwiches with peanut butter for lunch. A few squares of a choc bar is another idea to boost energy.

But you really need to be working hard throughout the day at a steady constant pace without panting for breath, this to keep burning off the fat reserves. Otherwise you will stack on the weight.

Any ex army chaps on here may know something about the number of calories needed for a hard day of work. It could be about 4000 a day?

Now this is up my street.i haven't worked since may last year as I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, very long story but this has affected my life considerably I can only manage 15 hours a week at the mo. haven't hauled up a tree since jan 2012. I don't know how serious you chaps are on diet, mine used to be awful, caffeine and pies! But having nearly come a cropper my eyes are wide open. The best thing for the manual worker is to keep your body in an anabolic state, basically burn the food in your stomach as fuel, as your stomach tends to empty on two hours or so you should eat three times a day with healthy snacks in between, drink plenty of water, at least 2.5l a day (tea and coffee inc). My best advise is research blood type diet and tailor to your needs. A typical day for me is 1 fresh lemon in warm water,1 spoon honey in a bowl of mixed indigenous fruits with live sheep yog/ chilli scrambled eggs on toast. Vermicelli carbonara. Grilled fish or chicken with pulses or mixed veg potatoes are a not of trouble for me so rice or pasta for carbs. Snacks are fruit, avocado,mixed nuts,raw carrot, very dark chocolate, rice cakes with nut butters. Try and balance your meals so they always contain protein, carbs and roughage. Don't just get your protein from meat as it makes your blood and muscles acidic. Of you eat bread eat whole meal as this slows the absorption of proteins. Christ sorry to prattle on I could go forever on this. But having been through what I have I now feel fitter than ever and it is down to diet change off to climb next week, just a reccy but a climb none the less. Phew;-)

Any ex army chaps on here may know something about the number of calories needed for a hard day of work. It could be about 4000 a day?

I know that the army ration packs have 7000 calories in them. But it also depends upon your age and metabolic rate.