Stopped by VOSA

drosa2004

Nope, you are insured to drive the categories you are licenced for, if you have a provisional licence you are licenced as long as you fulfil the provisional conditions.

If you extend your thinking to other categories you could drive an artic, its just a trailer after all.......

If this is true, why are those towing trailers without test not prosecuted for no insurance?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An MOT is only really valid the day it is issued anyway.

I would have been more suprised of he was stopped and not made to have an mot done. Being stopped means there is something wrong. They wouldn't stop you otherwise, or the vehicle looked dodgy to them.

Good, if he had to get an MOT to lift a GV9 I applaud them and condemn your mate. Keeping the roads free from shoddily maintained vehicles is what they are there for.

The fact that he got 3 prohibition notices in as many months it shows a piss poor attitude to the condition of the vehicle he is using on the roads he shares with our wives and children.

It isn't always quite that simple or straight forward. We got stopped by VOSA 6 weeks after having an MoT, they found a fault which was not readily evident unless you got underneath the vehicle, my lads fill in a drivers defect report form for every vehicle they drive every day but crawling underneath is not part of a daily check, that is down to our mechanic every six weeks.

We had to repair the truck road side which took all day by the time we got the part, we then had to present it for another test (although it had been tested 6 weeks ago), we took it for retest and the last thing they check at the MoT is the headlights, my driver turned the lights on and the bulb went while the inspector was looking at it, he actually saw the light come on and go out, he failed the truck and we had to go away, replace the bulb and go back again.

I agree that poorly maintained trucks are a pest but some times things do just not go in your favour, if VOSA has stopped us the following week our mechanic would most likey had spotted the fault and recified it as it was due for the 6 week inspection. However, towing a trailer without knowing what your licence allows is a bit daft in my opinion

An MOT is only really valid the day it is issued anyway.

I would have been more suprised of he was stopped and not made to have an mot done. Being stopped means there is something wrong. They wouldn't stop you otherwise, or the vehicle looked dodgy to them.

VOSA have to get results to ensure their viability and show they are needed, they look for older trucks, dirty trucks, trucks towing trailers, insecure loads etc. If your towing a trailer your more likely to have a fault as you have more items for them to check and therefore it looks good on their monthly reports.

We were unsure of some grey areas in regard to towing so I just turned up at our local VOSA station, they are having a clamp down on small trucks & pickups as they know most people do not comply on their license or Tachograph rules etc. They tell me you will usually get a warning but only once, as previously mentioned VOSA are now self funding so fines are imminent.

Good, if he had to get an MOT to lift a GV9 I applaud them and condemn your mate. Keeping the roads free from shoddily maintained vehicles is what they are there for.

The fact that he got 3 prohibition notices in as many months it shows a piss poor attitude to the condition of the vehicle he is using on the roads he shares with our wives and children.

Good point treequip

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It isn't always quite that simple or straight forward. We got stopped by VOSA 6 weeks after having an MoT, they found a fault which was not readily evident unless you got underneath the vehicle, my lads fill in a drivers defect report form for every vehicle they drive every day but crawling underneath is not part of a daily check, that is down to our mechanic every six weeks.

We had to repair the truck road side which took all day by the time we got the part, we then had to present it for another test (although it had been tested 6 weeks ago), we took it for retest and the last thing they check at the MoT is the headlights, my driver turned the lights on and the bulb went while the inspector was looking at it, he actually saw the light come on and go out, he failed the truck and we had to go away, replace the bulb and go back again.

I agree that poorly maintained trucks are a pest but some times things do just not go in your favour, if VOSA has stopped us the following week our mechanic would most likey had spotted the fault and recified it as it was due for the 6 week inspection. However, towing a trailer without knowing what your licence allows is a bit daft in my opinion

We can all have a bit of bad luck, I have had a spring crack while driving a passed tractor unit out of the test centre.

The PG9 is automatic if there is a fault with the vehicle, which, as has been stated, is likely if they start crawling around. A defective light is the usual as it's easy to spot. The prohibition notice is a mechanism to show they, VOSA, are doing their job and a toe curling reminder to the driver/operator to stay on the right side of the legislation.

The fault has to be rectified at the roadside before they provide a suspension to the prohibition. This gives you 10 days to get an MOT and present it to your local police station to get a PG10, which lifts the prohibition altogether.

Failure to comply gets you an automatic £5000 fine.

Funny thing is VOSA have an all singing, all dancing computerized system and the police still use crappy triplicate books hidden away at the back of the station.

We can all have a bit of bad luck, I have had a spring crack while driving a passed tractor unit out of the test centre.

I recon thats down to the " shaker " they use on the plating test .

Edited by Stubby
can't type or spell !