Hydraulic pipe burst

treebloke

IME its better to repair properly when hyd pipes are involved. Put the job aside and fix it properly.

IMO.

I agree and I will but I just need to do an hours work with it, if tomorrow was a week day it wouldn't be an issue, bloody thing broke at 4pm, by the time I had got the spanners and decidied we couldn't do it it was to late to call anyone out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my limited experience the corrision on hydraulic fittings is always external, the threads should be bright internally, therefore they should? unscrew.

Especially after "upsetting" i.e. the 2 hammers technique, assuming there is room to swing.

Or heat, as already mentioned

(*and I keep meaning to buy a plumbers blowtorch for this exact reason.)

With the high temp " MAPP" (or something similar) gas

B & Q should stock one.

I think it would simply snap the connection.

Assuming the nut is with the hose side and the steel pipe has a male end, then as suggested above, wedge the sledge hammer underneath and welt it on top with the club hammer, use a drift if access is poor.

If you can get the angle grinder near it, using a thin slitting disc split the nut nearly through, the heat from grinding helps so have spanners ready to go. Good luck, and I bet its in the most inaccessible place !

Being German the fittings might be JIC not BSP

I know there are fittings availble to temporary repair flexi pipes, has any one used them and are they any good.

They are better than temporary. The thing is the firms, like Pirtek and hydraquip, won't allow them nor will they allow the re ending or joining of an existing hose, it's a liability thing and a requirement of their trade association.

I'm pretty certain a LOLER inspection would fail them but for loading ( rather than craning) they should be fine.

I have used them since 1978 with no real problems.

You should of course get a new length of hose but to get you out of trouble cut out the damaged section and screw one of these on the hose anticlockwise

Reusable Socket

(top firm BTW and if you need help the chap at the other end of the 'phone will advise, he even rang me out of the blue and told me I had ordered incompatible stuff via the online site)

then screw in the fitting, do the same on the other end and get going.

Hi having been a hydraulic engineer for the last two years I thought I might tell you what worked best for me with tight fittings I always found that using a centre punch on the nut on both sides seamed to do the trick if not heat is the best way and hyd oil takes a lot to catch fire so not much of a risk

Good luck !!

When fred flintstone was a boy...i was a hydraulic fitter...screw in hydraulic fittings are very good provided that the hose is still sound.

Just make sure you apply a film of oil to the male threaded insert....makes the job MUCH easier and stops the threads from galling.

You will need a mallet to help drive the fitting in, dont use a hammer!

You can use heat, it wont catch fire unless you are using acetylene and getting the fittings cherry red. The oil will be buggered of course but it will be limited to what is 'local' to the fittings which you will be lost into a bucket when you get the fittings separated.

Just use as little as poss and make sure you have a at least a bucket of water to hand or a co2 extinguisher (they are nice and cold).

Good luck.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App