zig zag failure?

Dilz

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that in a straight pull in normal configuration the ZZ would slide on the rope well before 15kn. Hence the necessity for the stopper knot in the Treetools break test photos. So, I believe speculation about what kind of fall a climber would have to take to generate that force isn't really all that useful here. For that ZZ to break the way it did it was most certainly loaded in unusual manner.

Speculation again chaps, but IMO the only way to snap that bridge without sustaining a broken back or internal injuries is to have a non round crab sideways, the corners of the crab would create a point of pressure In very small area sideways.

IMO again, I think it is common sense to use a round crab with the bridge hole being a small one, no other crab should be used

A fall exerting 15kn on the zz eye (30kn on the anchor point & climber) would do so much internal damage that gear failure would be the least of your worries

Also I imagine these figures are in lab conditions and do not factor in dynamic absorption of your rope and the possible flex in the tree. Although I am disappointed if 15kn is the swl I'd would of preferred a larger margin.

Lol, ya you guys can swing all you want 70-100 ft up there, and while your swinging you can think about that pic.

Reduncnacy is such a bitch....enjoy.

Some of the macho idiots onn this site are just that...macho idiots.

Enjoy your ZigZags, and be sure to keep an eye on your parts, you just never know when plastic is going to go pop.

Why do you keep doing this on every thread you read?

It's all supposed to be constructive information sharing chatter.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Lol, ya you guys can swing all you want 70-100 ft up there, and while your swinging you can think about that pic.

Reduncnacy is such a bitch....enjoy.

Some of the macho idiots onn this site are just that...macho idiots.

Enjoy your ZigZags, and be sure to keep an eye on your parts, you just never know when plastic is going to go pop.

Knob !

Just had a thought, what if you had two climbers at about 100kg, one rescuing the other, total non-dynamic load 2kN. In a rescue situation, descents can be jerky at best and you may have to pull the victim off or over a branch, easily adding another 2kN. So where does that leave you with safety factors? 15kN/4kN= safety factor of 3.75, not great.

I don't have a zigzag, unlikely to be getting one, but if I did I would be worried about using one for rescue.