zig zag failure?

Dilz

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Pinus Sylvestris, if it was some obscure firm bringing out a new product then people may have held back a little. But it was Petzl, who are market leading innovators.

If rolls Royce brought out a new motor would customers hold back to see if anyone had problems? ..... I think not Mr Pinus

You can't go round all your life with such mistrust, at some point you have got to step forwArd of the crowd and shout "yes, this is me, I am awesome and will dispense with the scepticism that has blighted my life and I am going to go against the deep inbred scottish fear of spending money and be the tree I have always wanted to be, I want to be that pioneering tree, the one that grows where no other tree will grow, clinging to the edge of the crevice on nothing but rock, with the odd particle of nutrient blowing by on a stormy wind, I want my little Pinus needles to ride that wind of change and innovation. Yes yes yes"

The forest of Pinus you stepped forth from will be rooted behind you, cheering you on, pushing you forward

Just imaging Pinus Sylvestris, just imagine..!

now thats a great post, fave of the year this far!:lol:

What jonesie and other suppliers view on this if customers want to return them ?

Just asking thats all as i still love mine

We need to be guided by Petzl, until we have an answer that there is or is not a fault. We are waiting to hear from them on Tuesday.

Rest assured we will be in touch with everyone we sold if there is an fault. But at this stage it could still be a safe bit of equipment that was misused or a sabbatage against Petzl.

Shoot me down if this is silly .... Could you attach the eye ( the bit that failed in the picture ) with a termination knot of your preference ( bunt line or bowline or whatever ) and not use a bina then there would be no chance of it side loading etc ???

Surely the point is - climbers shouldn't be having to think of taking extra precautions to use a piece of gear. You want that extra security built in. After all this is not a minimalist, extreme sport for Frenchmen who climb overhangs with just a bandanna and a bag of chalk. This should be a serious bit of professional kit. Built to compensate for a degree of misuse or unusual circumstances. You want to climb with 'rugged' gear - not manby-panby extra lightweight stuff. You want to be up there with Bruce Springsteen - not Justin Bieber (no offence Justin)!:001_smile:

Looking at the pic with the bent connector - that product is now rodgered. You wouldn't want to put that in the vice and re-use - would you? It would be more comforting if that component was more substantial and contoured. And, as you lose your balance and slip off a limb, the last thing you want to be doing is looking up to check whether the krab is properly aligned before the rope (hopefully) goes tight! :001_huh:

Heaven forbid someone gets seriously injured from a ZZ failure - do you think the Petzl design engineer will have a clear conscience and that the climber was to blame because he didn't use it EXACTLY as the instructions recommend. OK the climber in Germany sounds as though he was being a bit 'boisterous' but I doubt 'reckless'.

Surely the point is - climbers shouldn't be having to think of taking extra precautions to use a piece of gear. You want that extra security built in. After all this is not a minimalist, extreme sport for Frenchmen who climb overhangs with just a bandanna and a bag of chalk. This should be a serious bit of professional kit. Built to compensate for a degree of misuse or unusual circumstances. You want to climb with 'rugged' gear - not manby-panby extra lightweight stuff. You want to be up there with Bruce Springsteen - not Justin Bieber (no offence Justin)!:001_smile:

Looking at the pic with the bent connector - that product is now rodgered. You wouldn't want to put that in the vice and re-use - would you? It would be more comforting if that component was more substantial and contoured. And, as you lose your balance and slip off a limb, the last thing you want to be doing is looking up to check whether the krab is properly aligned before the rope (hopefully) goes tight! :001_huh:

Heaven forbid someone gets seriously injured from a ZZ failure - do you think the Petzl design engineer will have a clear conscience and that the climber was to blame because he didn't use it EXACTLY as the instructions recommend. OK the climber in Germany sounds as though he was being a bit 'boisterous' but I doubt 'reckless'.

Lets just wait for the official findings, that pic of the bent attachment is an example pic by Petzl of a piece of kit that is now to be retired. Also petzl have stated that they tested the ZZ in off axis and still took sufficiently high loads to make it fail.

Let us also not forget that accidents do happen I had a friend fall from 50ft using a common Hitchclimber system after his karabiner became loaded on the gate we must always be carefully to ensure our system are in the optimum.

Petzl did not make this over night although there are some things about it that do disappointment me personally like the pulley design.

A little late with this i have been catching up but back to page 13 or 14 i think it was about aerial rescue. We were practicing aerial rescue on tue at work with two persons weight on a zig-zag and all seemed fine, no noticeable change in the way it ran or amount of pressure applied to descend.

A little late with this i have been catching up but back to page 13 or 14 i think it was about aerial rescue. We were practicing aerial rescue on tue at work with two persons weight on a zig-zag and all seemed fine, no noticeable change in the way it ran or amount of pressure applied to descend.

Is it rated high enough for aerial rescue?