How often do you lock your chain?

Stereo

look after your tools first, then yourself.

Yes i agree, but i carried it too far a couple of years ago. working in the garden on the pole-lathe, felt abit rough, packed all my tools away in the work shop, went in side feeling even worse, phoned 999 and told them i was having a heart attack. 1 hour and 45 mins plus 22 jump starts later i came alive again. yes my tools came first.:thumbup:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never ever. I totally disagree with the use of the chain brake as suggested. It is a safety feature for kick-back. You will need it then.

If you are walking why are you holding the throttle? You carry the machine with one hand without your other hand being anywhere near the throttle. If you fall you can use your other hand to break your fall.

If in doubt switch the saw off.

codlasher.

(i) I sound more like the father than the son.

However 90+% of the time I stop the saw, with a flick of my right thumb.

As easy to restart as reset the brake.

I very rarely engage the chain brake when working...........with both feet planted and both hands on the saw.

I do however use it as/when appropriate.

I do take it odd to hear the absolute constant click....click....click....click...click...click...click.click.clicketyclick.............. of another saw user I know through work.

If I'm not cutting then chain brake is on that's why they put them on the saw , brake spring went the other and for the first time I was able to repair myself ( had the time ) good feeling.

Sorta like your Dad really . If I am moving a fare distance over trip hazard type ground then yea brake on , or even turn saw off . but a couple of paces no . Don't blip throttle at all .

First started with saws didn't have brakes and also used them left-handed.... Now, once I had schooling I find the that its auto that the brake is applied and seems odd using it left-handed....

Its easy to get used to good or bad habits.... You should get used to applying the brake on any foot (even rebalancing) movement.

I personly don't hold with the idea that the brake is only for kick-back purposes.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of PPE kit then the brake is realy just part of that mind set.

Steve