climbing after long breaks...

sloth

I had 6 weeks off after an accident.... First tree back, none other than a 137ft (measured!) beech tree dismantle. Needless to say, that got my eye back in pretty quick! I really wished I had a go pro to film it, the groundies looked like ants!

My advice would be to take it steady to start with - don't overdo it physically, make sure you take breaks, maybe have a recovery day (being the groundie) and enjoy it!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel like a nubile young virgin being bickered over by two jocks at the prom....:001_huh:

I like it..... :lol:

Thank you sanglier for clarifying how you perceive me, that's about where i try to pitch it :biggrin:

I wouldn't want experienced climbers to assume I'm as good as good as them, 'cos I'm not - I'm terrified of heights for a start! - but I do have some knowledge which, within it's obvious limitations, I try to share, not just for the benefit of the few who have even less experience than I, but also for the purpose of furthering it for my own benefit

Just to make things quite clear, I'm no commercial climber, nor qualified tree surgeon, but I'm better than lots 'white can' type practitioners.....:biggrin:

I've done a decent amount of different types of treework over the last 16 ish years since I started wielding a chainsaw proper, including 6 CS units and assessments.... All on the ground though.....and I continue to do it. The next job is dismantling some oak trees and dead cherries over a holiday caravan park, can't wait :001_tongue:

(I'm Simon by the way :laugh1:)

And Robin.... You can have one of these. :001_tt2:

:lol:

I knew it... you're far too eloquent to be a full time saw jockey! :001_tongue:

We mainly communicate with grunts, the only full phrase I know is "milk no sugar" :biggrin:

And like Mr Bolam, after a couple of weeks holiday, or even if I haven't climbed much recently, I start sweating the tree's that I would have free climbed as a kid!

I had 6 weeks off after an accident.... First tree back, none other than a 137ft (measured!) beech tree dismantle. Needless to say, that got my eye back in pretty quick! I really wished I had a go pro to film it, the groundies looked like ants!

My advice would be to take it steady to start with - don't overdo it physically, make sure you take breaks, maybe have a recovery day (being the groundie) and enjoy it!

Rest day as a groundie! Sod that grounding is tough I'd rather climb.

I def come into that category of very occasional climber - usually every 3 months or so... strangely did a part dismantle/fell today...

As said it's the first hour or so is a bit nervvy and then by the end of the job it's like you never stopped doing it.

:001_smile:

Climbed from 1990 when I first started, through until 1998 when I worked in the buckets. From 2000 until 2007 I was mainly in liaison and management so didn't climb at all. Got fat, got out of shape (despite gym twice a day) and lost track of progress. I was made redundant in 2007 so decided to go out on my own rather than sitting moaning about it. Had to learn a lot of skills all over again and also start to learn a whole load of new ones and try and catch up with the progress in the Arb world. Needless to say it was a very fast and very sharp learning curve. I've been climbing since and work for local council through the week but still run my own business on weekends, holidays and whenever I can. Injuries have slowed me down but on council I have a colleague who is keen as mustard and does most of the climbing but is also helping to bring me up to date with a whole heap of new techniques like SRT. Enjoying my work more now than I have done in years.