Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

Don't get me wrong I am all for training and qualification but I disagree, 12 weeks is enough, tree surgery/climbing is not that complex, after that you really have to learn on the job.

To be a TO or a consultant fair enough a longer course is necessasary

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Getting the ticket allows you to start learning without HSE issues

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know too many people that have done the 12 week fast track course, have obtained all of their nptc's and are ''ready to go''. (still cack) In my view the 12 week course should be scrapped. Its inundating the industry with far to many wannabes who arnt dedicated to their job, thinking they can start up on their own and completely over saturating the industry (in my experience down in the south east)

I did the 10 week course 4 years ago and it gave me a good understanding of the industry, basic plant science, ident, pests and diseases and of course the 4 basic tickets. Why would you need more than this to start you off in the industry?

I completed a two year National diploma at a good college and learnt not only how to obtain my qualifications (just like learning to drive) but a hell of a lot about the best working practices in the industry and the care that goes with it.

It's all well and good completing a 2 year, full time course (and well worth it) IF you are 16-20, living at home and have government funding.

I did the 10 week course when i was 22 - no way could i have taken two years out of work to complete an nd or nc course - 10 weeks was a struggle!

Wow that was a drunken rant but i still stand by what i wrote.

Mike seems to have seen red ;-), fair point though mate..

My issue is really about saturation of the industry though. A college 8 miles from here pumps out 20 odd new tree surgeons every few months. They then start working for the larger companies being over worked and underpaid, dont enjoy it, want to start up on their own, push prices down, try to under cut more experienced companies and create too much competition for others turning what used to be a very well paid job (and what it should be, how hard we work is obvious to you guys) into a not so well paid job. The population of this country isnt getting any smaller...

Wow that was a drunken rant but i still stand by what i wrote.

Mike seems to have seen red ;-), fair point though mate..

My issue is really about saturation of the industry though. A college 8 miles from here pumps out 20 odd new tree surgeons every few months. They then start working for the larger companies being over worked and underpaid, dont enjoy it, want to start up on their own, push prices down, try to under cut more experienced companies and create too much competition for others turning what used to be a very well paid job (and what it should be, how hard we work is obvious to you guys) into a not so well paid job. The population of this country isnt getting any smaller...

Don't disagree but there we are, it is what it is.

There is a tendancy for people to want to pull the ladder up behind them.

Theres plenty of room for all in this business, you just have to be able to see past "lopping and topping" there is a whole other side to arbing one could delve into that VERY few care to tread.

If you want to be just another lazy arb (lazy mentaly) then i guess it will get to be a very crowded industry!

Tony, I always get the feeling that asking you a question is a bit like throwing a tennis ball for a Border Collie! (5 seconds later it drops it at your feet and you realise you've started something you cannot finish!)

But... would you care to enlarge on what you said as it's a bit cryptic,

I know some climbers with every ticket going...and their crown reductions look like they've been done with plastic explosive!...I think the thing to remember is, a CS unit (or what ever they call them these days), is only a level of competence...its not a level of proficiency.

It really grips me when other firms are doing contract work and I know they don't hold the relevant tickets..would their insurers pay out if there was an accident?. Its up to whoever awards the contracts to check their contractors are actually qualified to do their job...many just don't know or don't bother...budget comes first :thumbdown:

Tony, I always get the feeling that asking you a question is a bit like throwing a tennis ball for a Border Collie! (5 seconds later it drops it at your feet and you realise you've started something you cannot finish!)

think he's on about ecology

I would assume he means stuff more technical than pruning a few limbs off, such as the techniques used on the ecology threads, most 'arbs' can't tell a birch from a beech, so everything else is unknown, such as fungi, habitat, different management techniques such as causing hollowing, coronet cuts, branch fusing, and so on, most arbs will see fungi, and will remove the area affected, hollowing and remove, crossing limbs and remove the weaker limb, dead wooding (crown cleaning/clearing) etc.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

:lol::lol::lol: I know what you mean bless him. He does know his stuff though :thumbup: