Ash Barber chairs, been seeing a few recently?

ha I thought the danish pie cut was made up, !!!

Someone tell me what that is

I had to google it too. Looks a bit like a cross between a dogtooth and a cushion cut.

IME the key is to get it off the hinge as quick as possible, whether that be by chasing the hinge on smaller timber (probably not something any instructor will tell you to do) or by letterboxing the hinge, notching the sides of the gob fairly deeply and using a dogtooth, or various levels in between depending on the tree and what it's going for.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep cutting, when the tree starts to go

Sod all these silly bore cuts, just keep cutting or get out the way, makes the wood easier to split.

The danish pie cut does work wonders

:thumbup1: thats the way!:biggrin: razor sharp chain bigish gob and just keep cutting. takes some balls sometimes though especially when pushing with a digger or winching the back pops off so easy!

Glad it wern't only me, I'm for ever hearing these gravity defying cuts that these college boys come out with, gob - cut and runs kept me going long enough

I'm not a collage boy thank u very much :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I had to google it too. Looks a bit like a cross between a dogtooth and a cushion cut.

IME the key is to get it off the hinge as quick as possible, whether that be by chasing the hinge on smaller timber (probably not something any instructor will tell you to do) or by letterboxing the hinge, notching the sides of the gob fairly deeply and using a dogtooth, or various levels in between depending on the tree and what it's going for.

I never use the Danish cut, was just saying it was there, my saw cuts like a bat out of hell so I keep cutting :).

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Danish is actually on the syllabus if you do a felling course now.

I know what you mean about just keep cutting but in reality what's its going you should have made all the cuts you intend to do and get out of the way.

Thoughts?

Danish is actually on the syllabus if you do a felling course now.

I know what you mean about just keep cutting but in reality what's its going you should have made all the cuts you intend to do and get out of the way.

Thoughts?

Keeping cutting, although reducing the chance of barbers chair, can leave you standing at the stump & exposed. Most of the time that is OK, BUT the rest of the time that can be dangerous at the least. I would rather not be there

I like to stick around for a few seconds just in case push the wedge in if its a biggie. Usually only run if I know it's going to see-saw on bank or do something dodgy big bits of dead flying around etc Gotta keep some danger in the job else we can't justify are huge fees