Slow cooking in chip?

Rik

Makes good compost/soil conditioner when you finished with it. I find it gets hotter with fresh chip that has plenty of green. Best thing is to have a dig around to see which is hotter. We are thinking of keeping our large shed warm with a couple of radiators pumping water round with a heating pump

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often thought it is a lot of wasted heat. Theres steam given off when you turn a winter pile of chip.

The issue would probably be that in drawing off heat you kill the process.I wonder

The microbes that live in the pile have evolved to survive in the different temperatures, so yes if you cool the heap the thermophylic (temperature loving) bugs will give way to mesophilic ones, which live in medium ( blood heat) temperature. If there is still enough food and air in the chip ( volatile solids like simple sugars and oils and not the woody lignin and cellulose much) then the heat will build up again and the hotter species become dominant.

I would also expect it to be self controlling to some extent because there would be no point in pumping water through the pipe if the temperature fell much below 40C, so a thermostatic control on the outlet would stop the pump.

In the 70s a pub in Devon was heated by a large chip heap.

Being a pyromaniac I, of course, prefer achieving higher temperatures.

Try putting it in one of those roasting bags.Would keep out the bad bacteria if there are any.

I don't think it's bacteria from the chip that would be the problem but those on the meat already, as I said they are limited to the surface of the lump and can be quickly killed off in the initial phase of cooking. The problem arises is something has happened to allow these surface bacteria to get into the bulk of the meat, like with mince or chicken (where salmonella is often present in the bird), Then slow cooking that doesn't allow the high temperatures to kill the bugs means they can multiply, this is especially true of re warming food, the bugs multiply and as they live and die and produce toxins (e.g. Botulinum toxin). Even if the meat is subsequently raise to above 70C the toxin is present.

We all have developed some resistance to common bacteria so can survive a dose of mild food poisoning now and again but if a bit less healthy...

I've eaten fresh raw meat and eggs without harm. Parasites, like tapeworm are another consideration.

Tried cooking eggs in chips. First attempt resulted in blown shells and blobs I didn't fancy much. Pierced eggs for second, resulting in intact shells, cooked eggs but an ingress of something which tainted the whites. Third went with a pierced shell but placed egg in tin and just immersed tin in top of pile. Resulted in a good cooked and edible egg.

Happy with experiment but a lot of fuss for a boiled/roasted egg.

Not to distract from the op's topic but if you interested in hot water from chip this vids worth a watch.

Jean Pain - The power of compost - YouTube

Fascinating ideas brought up in that video. I'm intrigued by the idea of a woodland croft in Scotland and the thought of being able to use all of your brash and green matter from forestry activities to provide your dwelling with heat and perhaps power is enticing. The bonus of vast amounts marketable compost at the end is excellent too.

Whilst there isn't a vast amount more heat available from a chip pile than burning it, there is comparatively no maintenance.

Could run a kiln drying firewood by heating it from chip from the material that is too small to sell.

So many of you out there sell firewood and have chip mountains it seems a no brainer.