Hung-up quotes

Hill-Billy

Yep, I guess so. The kind of jobs where there won't be much fluctuation in your price even if someone else is cheaper then it's not worth worrying about, but yes on bigger stuff it's important to go and have a think.

Even if you don't you'll only make the mistake once, trust me. :lol:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what Joe public does all the time , asks for a quote , then keep you waiting . I give them a price then suggest a date telling them I'm super busy the next month or two after the suggested date , sometimes it works and they go with your date .

I must say I've never chased them up on the phone , but plenty have got back to me months later expecting the same price .

TS

This is what Joe public does all the time , asks for a quote , then keep you waiting . I give them a price then suggest a date telling them I'm super busy the next month or two after the suggested date , sometimes it works and they go with your date .

I must say I've never chased them up on the phone , but plenty have got back to me months later expecting the same price .

TS

Do your quotes have an expiry on them? Mine last for 30 days and it says so in the T's and C's.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We test and measure all the time. 33% conversion is ok for a business when you are working with new clients. It's an officially recognised figure that means your prices are high enough to make a profit. Too cheap and you'd win a lot more. (Obviously there are many other factors involved in the buying cycle.)

As you begin to work with clients who are either referred to you or are existing clients your conversion rate should improve regardless of your prices(within reason).

You should analyse what you wear, what you say, how you respond to their questions, whether you have covered everything they want. If you give them a price there and then ask them if it's higher or lower than they expected. If they already have a lower price make sure what you're quoting for is the same. Try not to dis the other contractor. List all the things you do as standard; clear up, written fixed price quote, level of insurance, certificated workforce, clear detailed work spec, any planning apps that need to be done etc.

Sell your service on quality and professionalism. You must deliver on your promises. Ask them for their help if you were unsuccessful. There is always someone willing to work for sawdust so avoid going there. If someone else gets the job and does a good job learn from it. If you do get the job ask for a referral to their friends.

Ask questions and learn from the answers.

Good advice, but is assumes the bits in red are correct for the OP.

I think this has been said somewhere in here before, sort of, but I've glossed over the reading off it so forgive.

How old are you? How much experience have you? How do you dress to quote? How do you think you come across to your clients?

I think these points are the most important. Most people make a decision on whether or not to hire you within the first 5 seconds of meeting you. Those are the most vital seconds of your meeting. Price is almost irrelevant, if they don't like you they won't hire you, regardless of price. Go through meeting in your mind, do you waffle, do you umm and ahhh, do you lack confidence, in yourself and in your approach and are there gaping holes in your knowledge?

I referred to age earlier, I've noticed many sub30s don't seem to have much credibility in the eyes of older people, not always, but sometimes. It's like how can you know anything, you're just out of college sort of thing.

Our quotes always have a time limit on them, and usually an explanation of why such as imminent bud burst, bird nesting season, fungal spores season, bad time to cut conifer hedges etc. etc. Customers understand and appreciate it. I never chase up quotes, if you're going to get the job you'll find out soon enough. You can pencil in the diary the ones you feel you will probably get.