charcoal burning

hedgesparrow

does any one do charcoal burning looking to dip toes in to this market. is it worth doing and do i need one of the big bins to do it or can i use a old 40 gallon drum to do it and is any wood ok to use have mostly big old hazel. which is only good for burning or charcoal any advice appropriated. also is there a course near to me you can go on

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hedgesparrow, I made a burner out of a 45 gallon steel drum the sort with the lift off lid, drilled 4-5 inch and half holes in the base for air flow and stood it on 4 bricks, then build soil up round the base to reduce the draft, I followed the directions in The Encyclopedia of Green Wood Working, I've found it best not to put in anything over 3 inch as it wont get hot enough to burn it fully, using one this size a burn takes about 4-6 hours and produces a feed bag to a feed bag and a half of good charcoal

I'm even smaller scale than csservices!

I make my charcoal in the livingroom. One metal sweetie tin (Quality Street etc)

filled with wood and half a dozen screwdriver holes in the top.

Cook in the woodburner and remove. Put damp cloth over the holes. Takes about 30 mins to cook up

Definately not for commercial use!!!!!

theres no market for charcoal in the u.k?

this is just not true, only 5% of the charcoal used in the u.k is produced here,the rest is imported and mostly from unsustainable sources.

Problem is that most people just want cheap - they don't care where it comes from.

I've had a little go at burning in the garden using a couple of retorts I made from gas bottles and had them sat inside a 45 gallon drum when burning. Once the gas ignites and it becomes almost self fueling, the noise is fantastic. Sounds like a jet engine :biggrin:

Really like the idea of burning commercially as we get a fair bit of stuff to small diameter to put in the firewood stacks and it seems a shame to waste it.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/forestry-woodland-management/21912-my-first-charcoal-burn.html

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/forestry-woodland-management/31057-mini-charcoal-retort-mk2.html