What would you do

NoRush

A while ago I cleared up some wood for a local tree person. I went on site and cleared it from where it had been felled. There was about 4ish tonne. We had aggreed a price but found i couldn't pay on the day as most of me customers payed by check but woud pay him the following morning. His reply was " YOU DONT WANT TO BE OWING ME MONEY".

Now i'd never met this person, untill then, but a chap who was working with him knew me well and he knew alot of people i have worked for and i always pay what i owe.

Should i have told him where to stick it and that if he steps on my property he may have more than a dog chasing him or pay him smile and never deal with him again or pay him and deal with him again hoping his attitude will change. (what he lacks in height he makes up in mouth)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would have probably told him to stick it at the time of confrontation, but have learned its better to sleep on it, then make a decision. how desperate are you to have the wood? If you may get some more out of it at a good price then let it slide this time maybe? He could be worried about getting stung.

A while ago I cleared up some wood for a local tree person. I went on site and cleared it from where it had been felled. There was about 4ish tonne. We had aggreed a price but found i couldn't pay on the day as most of me customers payed by check but woud pay him the following morning. His reply was " YOU DONT WANT TO BE OWING ME MONEY".

Now i'd never met this person, untill then, but a chap who was working with him knew me well and he knew alot of people i have worked for and i always pay what i owe.

Should i have told him where to stick it and that if he steps on my property he may have more than a dog chasing him or pay him smile and never deal with him again or pay him and deal with him again hoping his attitude will change. (what he lacks in height he makes up in mouth)

Looking at this from the other side,…………

Some bloke came to collect firewood from a job and didn’t have the till to pay for it, promised to pay tomorrow.

I don’t know him from Adam and I have heard that story before, had to give him the hard word…….

Trust your gut, if he gets funny over this on your first meeting then chances are when something else crops up he will get funny again. It may of been a flippant remark and you took it the wrong way, but if he leaves you feeling in any doubt then best to pay up and avoid, not worth the agro and having him bad mouth you, or your paths cross on another job and there is tension.

Sounds like he is milking it, I wish i got paid to have my waste taken away on top of payment for the job!