New computer!

jamesd

I know this is a bit of a random thing to be asking but i need a new computer for doing the invoices etc for work. I have had a dell desktop for over 12 years and don't know anything about what to buy i'm tempted to go for another dell as this one has lasted so well but don't know if their any good anymore? I'm going to go for another desktop as they have more memory and should last longer? But just don't know exactly which one to buy!

So any help or recommendations would be great!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a bit of a random thing to be asking but i need a new computer for doing the invoices etc for work. I have had a dell desktop for over 12 years and don't know anything about what to buy i'm tempted to go for another dell as this one has lasted so well but don't know if their any good anymore? I'm going to go for another desktop as they have more memory and should last longer? But just don't know exactly which one to buy!

So any help or recommendations would be great!

I had to get a new one a short while back . Don't know a lot about them so asked . Ended up with a Lenovo . Very pleased so far .

Dont go for windows 8 ,too different, than what we are used to ,its a pain in the A**

I think it's fine, never use the tab screen, always use the desktop which is almost identical to vista / 7

OP - go on Cheap Laptops, Tablet PC, and Cheap LED TVs | Ebuyer.com, much cheaper than high street places.

Also, laptops are easily as good as desktops nowadays.

Aim to get an intel i5 processor, 4gb ram and 500gb+ hard drive

that should future proof you for a few months :biggrin:, nah it should be good for years to come. For that spec you'll be looking at around £350-£400

Novatec portsmouth do some good pc,s just pick the spec you want and it will give you a price. most have min 500 gb hdd with some being 1terabite ample for what you need get the latest procesor. good graphics card.and windows 7 stay away from 8 or if you want something thats stable works well and will work with your old invoice system a apple pc will out last a windows pc. when i buy a new unit will go apple works with i phones,i pads. fed up with the old type pc with windows apples operating system far better linix used by large servers.

We use Dell where I work at the moment, and they are perfectly good. Before that we used a lot of HP. Which are also fine. Whatever you get will cope more than adequately with invoices etc, so look for a pretty minimal spec. Dell have an outlet section which are pretty good value. XP is still fine (although you'll be hard pushed to find anyone still selling it). I prefer 7 over 8, and there's a couple of free office packages out there if you don't fancy shelling out to Microsoft. Al.