Do you buy online or local

Steve Bullman

Where do you buy, and why?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy, and why?

• Online - I can get cheaper prices buying online
    • Online - I like the convenience of being able to purchase online 24 hours a day
    • Online - There is no local retailer
    • Local - I get better support locally if I have purchased my machines from them direct
    • Local - I like to support my local dealer even if it means paying extra

Because you can buy online local dealers have to step up and provide a comparable service. I expect to pay more at a shop but not 40% more. I try to use local dealers but If the service, prices, stock level and attitude are pants I go online . Sales of small generators became impossible for us about 6 years ago so we packed it in, its just life unfortunately.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was a millionaire, it would be local all the way, simply because if nobody bought local, there would be no dealers where one could try before buying.

But being Joe Public, where local only sell at rrp or maybe 10-15% discount at sale time. Then it's either online or drive 50+ miles to next nearest dealer and hope they have what is needed on the day.

Sent by Arbtalk Mobile App

(Tried to edit previous post but with no luck. hence 2nd. post.)

However, not being a pro and considering Stihl and in some cases Husky's online sales policy. For the main hardware, it's either local at rrp or somewhere like 'Forest & Arb' - where even considering the journey's fuel cost, I could still have change in my poccket. And could visit relatives/friends along the way.

Sent by Arbtalk Mobile App

Its a sideline for me at the mo. so its convenient to get my consumables local.Bar oil and mix i can pick up very close, and they knock me up a loop of chain straight away.

Things i need in a while i shop for online for a good deal.I do like to support local people but there are limits.

I`m getting laid off shortly, so i`ll be looking at it in more detail as i`m planning on going into treework fulltime.Time will tell, but i suspect it will be a mixture.

We use local most of the time. We're luckier than most and have dealers nearby. To save 20, 30, 40 quid by buying online from a faceless seller is usually a very small percentage of what an item can earn. Our dealers are friendly and helpful. I'd be gutted if they disappeared.

I personelly order online from jonsie honeys and gustharts buy dont mind driving up to jonsies just because i like walking around the shop boring the missus explaining what everything is and telling her what i want abit like looking online aswell lol but if not that then wait for the shows to have a proper look

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I shop local... well say local, not my local as its rubbish. I use one 15 miles from me and buy most things from there as long as they are reasonable. Have started buying saws local also and as said even if its 20 30 40 quid dearer would still buy saw from a dealer. But must admit prices of saws are on the ball and this i buy from local dealer.

I do shop online for climbing things and am shocked at price difference. Noticed prices creeping up in a shop i used to think was good priced...:sneaky2: it pays to shop around on these things...

All depends on what is needed - Saws, 2stroke, plugs etc I always get locally. Climbing gear online (FRJones, Chains Direct) or local climbing shops as I make up my own lanyards etc. I always use trusted names like DMM & Petzl so the price dictates who I buy from as it varies a bit, as long as the components meet the relevant BS/EN requirements. :thumbup1:

I do a lot of soul-searching over this question. Servicing or a quick fix it has to be my local garden machinery dealer. Everything else really has to be online. The husky dealer nearby wants 100 more than Jonesie for a 550. I can't afford to throw that money away. Not these days.

The main downside is that online retailers are usually tied to couriers who charge the earth to deliver to me in Outer Mongolia. Wanted - 2 x rock exotica pirate krabs. 12.35 plus vat each. Total including delivery - £64. Sorry HB, no sale.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App