Firewood Processor Suppliers / Dealers

farmer_ben

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much volume will you be putting through it and what is it, ie Arb waste or forestry thinning 's and what sort of budget did you have in mind. Some machines don't handle arb waste at all well.

Nice little starter processor is the JAPA 700, people here put up to 500 cube a year through them.

Just make sure whatever you buy then get a rack or log lifter to feed it and make sure you have timber handling facilities available, ie some sort of log grab, you can get away with a set of fork lift forks but they do slow the job down as the longer pieces always seem to slide off one end or the other.

Members here sometimes sell processors in the classifieds here.

A

have a very serious look at the tajfun from Kilworth tractors, this is a fantastic processor compared to some of the other more common brands with a large capacity and quick cycle.

Have you got one?, would be interested to read a review, perhaps in a new thread.

A

Nope had one on out on a demo, and I was very impressed to as it was faster than a lot of other kit i have run or seen running. The easy joystick controls were spot on so you couldnt put pressure on the bar/chain or force timber into it and the fact it takes a 18" log on a small sized processor makes a big difference in twisty stuff or slightly large thinnings

Quick review for anyone interested:

We got a Tajfun 400 joy from Kilworth recently and it's a very nice machine once you get used to the joystick (I had previously used manual controls).

Pros:

15 ton splitter - this is the best feature, most logs will go through sideways and even on 15 inch diameter oak it hasn't failed to split yet. It's also very fast.

Swinging conveyor (out) - I think this an option but it's very useful

Last piece of wood - This is hard to explain but two plates come up and support the end of a log which, if you cut alot of firewood you will know how annoying it is when the last piece falls in the splitting chamber before being cut.

Auto off - If you open the main guard everyting pauses including the chain and conveyor which is very quick way to stop blockages.

Hydraulic splitter adjustment.

Cons:

Changing the chain (you have to take processor chains off to sharpen them) is very fiddly (you should get at least 10 tons per sharpening on hardwood)

Most of the machine is very strong but the guard above the chainsaw is a bit weak.

Our chain drive belt (everything else is hydraulic) went after 100tons and was horrible to change.

On 18 inch logs the splitter can force them up and bend the inside of the machine, this is the one design flaw I can think of but once you know to expect it it's ok. Anything under 15inch is fine.

The price has just gone up by a few thousand as more people switch to this machine.

Needs about a 45HP tractor.

If your cutting big timber this is a very good machine but if you do alot of 2-5 inch logs it is slow cutting these because of the joystick being a set speed.

Kilworth are expensive on new chains etc but they have been a good dealer in our experience.

Feel free to ask anything else.

have a very serious look at the tajfun from Kilworth tractors, this is a fantastic processor compared to some of the other more common brands with a large capacity and quick cycle.

Thanks Charlie, the video on the website is very impressive. What sort of money are we talking?

How much volume will you be putting through it and what is it, ie Arb waste or forestry thinning 's and what sort of budget did you have in mind. Some machines don't handle arb waste at all well.

Nice little starter processor is the JAPA 700, people here put up to 500 cube a year through them.

Just make sure whatever you buy then get a rack or log lifter to feed it and make sure you have timber handling facilities available, ie some sort of log grab, you can get away with a set of fork lift forks but they do slow the job down as the longer pieces always seem to slide off one end or the other.

Members here sometimes sell processors in the classifieds here.

A

Well its a mixture of bought in timber, all processor friendly and timber we save from coppicing operations on various farms. I'd like to think next winter I may be doing 350-400 cube, so just an entry level processor really. I'm looking at a bobcat with timber grab to handle timber with.