private towing

Warners

As far as i am aware and i have an arse of a copper live a few doors down from me so im pretty aware!!. on a standard driving licence with no trailer ticket. you can drive a total of 3.5 ton including what you are towing. so if your vehicle weighs 2 ton and your trailer weighs half a ton you can have up to 1 ton loaded on the trailer. i think the total weight of what is being towed has to be less than the weight of the tow vehicle and there is also some rule about breaked and unbreaked trailers. hope that helps a bit.

tom

As far as i am aware and i have an arse of a copper live a few doors down from me so im pretty aware!!. on a standard driving licence with no trailer ticket. you can drive a total of 3.5 ton including what you are towing. so if your vehicle weighs 2 ton and your trailer weighs half a ton you can have up to 1 ton loaded on the trailer. i think the total weight of what is being towed has to be less than the weight of the tow vehicle and there is also some rule about breaked and unbreaked trailers. hope that helps a bit.

tom

That's pretty wrong, firstly there is no such thing as a standard driving licence because what you can do depends on when you passed your test.

Pre 97 licence holders can tow whatever the vehicle is rated to, all others are restricted to 750kg unless you do a trailer test

That's pretty wrong, firstly there is no such thing as a standard driving licence because what you can do depends on when you passed your test.

Pre 97 licence holders can tow whatever the vehicle is rated to, all others are restricted to 750kg unless you do a trailer test

Very close, part 1 of the above is correct but it is possible to tow more than 750kg on a post 97 license.

The total of the MAM of the towing vehicle and the MAM of the trailer must be 3499kg or less with the trailer MAM being less than the MAM of the car. An old neighbour got this is writing from VOSA and it is on their website somewhere. He was allowed to tow his small caravan (900kg ish) with a shogun pinin.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules

from the above

A full car licence already lets you tow trailers weighing no more than 750 kg. You can also tow heavier trailers with a car as long as the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500 kg. The fully loaded trailer must also not be heavier than the unladen vehicle.