landy defender here I come!

the hedge man

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to have to agree with most of the comments on here, don't do it to yourself! Unless you love spending hours working on land rovers till late at night, which for some reason lots of people do! I had a 300tdi 90 for many years, rebuilt it on a galvanised chassis, polybushes, cleaned all the steel parts back and repainted it all and lots and lots of other new parts and it was still in the workshop all the time. Not to mention if you like being cold, cramped, getting dripped on (don't worry about the drips, the draughts in the cab will soon dry you out) and not being able to hear yourself think. Oh and 99% of land rovers come with a self lubricating system built in! Just make sure you keep your steering fluid and engine oil topped up and everything under the engine bay and on the front axle should have a nice coating of oil on it :thumbup1:

I would also recommend something like a daihatsu fourtrak, I bought one many years ago for £80 just to use around the farm and it was brilliant, really good offroad, fantastic engine and almost indestructible like you can see in this very childish and badly edited video I made many years ago [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRk9dPfzrhs]4x4 jumps! - YouTube[/ame]

Surely you know by now that it's not an option, unless you're a good welder. If you want to fit in with the Estate set, get yourself a nice old Subaru forester. The older ones are dirt cheap and you can buy a good set of knobbly tyres for 300 quid. Go most places you'll need to go and have that 4 x 4 cachet you're after. You can pull 1900kg with it and get 30mpg. Steer clear of the turbo model and get the oil pump sorted if it's a high miler. :thumbup1:

About the only sensilble option at £1000 would be a Jimny. Probably be fairly high miles and might want an odd patch on the boot floor but there's only a couple of things usually go wrong with jimnys and both are very cheap fixes.

I'm almost convinced there's no such thing as a good Defender for sale anywhere - they become good ones after a while of ownership (making good things that have been bodged or repaired using low quality parts) and generally either get kept or stolen.

£1000 is pretty much scrap money for a 90/110 or Defender, I'd say that even tripling your budget you're going to be hunting for a while to find a good starting point.

if you are in the right place at the right time you can get something.

a friend got a h reg defender for 800 notes!!

he has had no probs with it and the previous owner had a 300tdi put in it.

as far as land rovers go its alright.

i got a written off fourtrack for 300 quid. put a new rad in it and ruffly straighted out the panels and it then went straight through its mot!

I own a landy 110 and for some reason I love it- BUT, in the three years I've had it I've only had to replace the rear end of the chassis, the engine, power steering box, fuel tank, front steering swivels, seats, windscreen, bonnet, headlights, transfer box, rear springs and a few smaller bits.

I have probably spent 100 hours a year working on it - but its one of my hobbies.

If you buy a landy you need to be an enthusiast, if you buy a cheap one you need to a bit of a loony.

80% of all landrovers built are still on the road 20% have arrived at their destination.

You have been warned

I own a landy 110 and for some reason I love it- BUT, in the three years I've had it I've only had to replace the rear end of the chassis, the engine, power steering box, fuel tank, front steering swivels, seats, windscreen, bonnet, headlights, transfer box, rear springs and a few smaller bits.

I have probably spent 100 hours a year working on it - but its one of my hobbies.

If you buy a landy you need to be an enthusiast, if you buy a cheap one you need to a bit of a loony.

80% of all landrovers built are still on the road 20% have arrived at their destination.

You have been warned

HI SEAN i love them mate there the best jon :thumbup:

what about an isuzu trooper? with a bit of looking you should be able to get a tidy one for £1200 ish, just avoid the 3.0l ones as i have a dead one on my drive that refuses to run no matter hwat is done to it.

when lokking for troopers also lok for vauxhall monterays as the seems to be a few £100 cheaper but are the same truck.