Life after knee replacement?

TommyW

Hello all.

Long time lurker - only just registered.

I have been working in the industry for over 15yrs, running my own small business for last 8yrs.

I smashed up my knee about 6 yrs ago, a scan about 18mths ago revealed almost no cartilage on the lower part of the joint, subsequent consultation advised a future knee replacement will probably be necessary.

Its getting quite bad now, limping about for the first hour every morning, very sore & swollen in the evenings, feels like it may dislocate from time to time.

Has anyone out there had a knee replacement and continued doing everyday climbing? And if so did you experience any problems / limitations with the operation? How long did you need to recover?

All feedback much appreciated.

Tom

I dislocated my knee a good few year back and knackered cartilage, ACL and PCL. Had to wait 2 years (bloody NHS) constantly coming out again and again!! Had the the op and not been a problem since. Aches a bit every now and then when cold and/or damp. 8 years on it's still going strong.

My old man has had both done. Not a climber but a consultant entomologist. In the summer he does as much crop walking on research projects as the agronomist! Says it's made one hell of a difference.

After 8 years, perhaps it's time you employed a lad to climb and you spend more time focusing upon the business? You should take on lighter duties for a while by the sound of it.

Look upon it as a chance to push the business forward. After the op you can climb when you feel like it as the boss man!

I destroyed 3/4 of my ligaments in my right knee 4 years ago downhill biking. I now have another mans knee ligaments in my knee and apart from discomfort from working on a slope most of the day it isnt too bad. Everynow and then it lets me know to stop being a fool when working on a slope or uneven terrain. But from day to day i have no problems after the op. I won't be downhill biking as much as i used to and i will only do the easier route.

Coming from a different tack.

the Mrs. has suffered from arthritis for a good No of years.

Finally at little over 40 had both knees replaced, a few years ago.

Still in a lot of pain (despite a shed load of drugs), and very little mobility.

Both knees basically locked straight.

Done by the top N Ireland man from the Belfast Knee Clinic.

Regards

Marcus

PS

On the contrary MOST hip ops are a very good job, not so for knees apparently

Most people who have a knee replacement are happy with their mobility and improved pain. The main thing you don't say is how old you are? Hips will often last 20 years if you have one at 65years. Knee replacements however wear out much more quickly and if you have one at 50 (and are more active) will wear out even quicker. So generally people are encouraged to delay having it done so that it won't wear out before they become immobile through old age. A worn out knee replacement when you are 60 is bad news.

Climbing trees and heavy work aren't within the normal expectations of a knee replacement. Difficult decision but maybe discuss it with your GP and if still keen an Orthopaedic surgeon?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am 37 so a worn out knee replacement is conceivable.

Also 90 degrees of mobility would be difficult to accept.

I have a friend who had nis hip joint re-faced sucessfully, his missus is a doctor and she suggested it can be done to knees also.

Will start the ball rolling with NHS - but it always seems to take a month or so to talk to anyone who can help.

As to the response about knocking the climbing on the head - the day just seems to drag on the ground, I had several folk working for me a few yrs back but but I make more money with just 2 of us - every job is done on time and to the customers satisfaction. it would not be very profitable to run a 2 man team with me just overseeing.

Also spent £15k in the last year on new kit and update training anticipating another decade of climbing - can't bear to not get my monies worth out of it!

Hello all.

Long time lurker - only just registered.

I have been working in the industry for over 15yrs, running my own small business for last 8yrs.

I smashed up my knee about 6 yrs ago, a scan about 18mths ago revealed almost no cartilage on the lower part of the joint, subsequent consultation advised a future knee replacement will probably be necessary.

Its getting quite bad now, limping about for the first hour every morning, very sore & swollen in the evenings, feels like it may dislocate from time to time.

Has anyone out there had a knee replacement and continued doing everyday climbing? And if so did you experience any problems / limitations with the operation? How long did you need to recover?

All feedback much appreciated.

Tom

Not had a replacement but my right knee is exactly as yours is . I live on ibuprofen .