Ideal workshop space??

Rich2484

I visited the Esgair mill a while back and can say it is one very fine place indeed, a fully loaded timber truck can back in and unload undercover and the view forom the office at the top of the building is just something ells.

The most important thing about eny workshop is keeping those you dont want in it out!

Rich, I guess you are looking to run a service and repair business from this workshop. For horticultural equipment you dont need as much room as you might for, say, ag machinery or cars, but you will be surprised how much you do need.

You need to look to how big your business will be in three years time, not how big it is when you start.

Although you dont need much space to work on small kit, you do need plenty of storage space to keep customers machines pending service, awaiting spares or waiting for customers to collect when complete, they can not be left out as cars or tractors can.

My workshop space is apron 750 sq ft, and is currently home to about 60 machines (around 20 2 strokes, 42 mowers and 8 lawn tractors) This is approximately a weeks work and is therefore on a 7 -10 day turnaround.

This workshop is only just big enough, any smaller would be unworkable. Even now I have to overflow, from time to time into the other half of my unit which houses the showroom and office.

Outside space and parking is also essential, as is somewhere to 'wash down' machines.

Just got back front the lifeboat.

Hd a bit of a brainwave today. The farmer I used to work for as some excellent spaces I cold see about renting out. They used to be used for banger cars.

Too big and it will be wasted space that i will be paying for and not using.

Nooooooo

The universal constant states that junk expands to fill space available

My workshop is on the huge size and keeping junk at bay is a constant battle

Very true :thumbup:same as give people an acre to park in they will park in the middle.

it all depend on what you doing but i would have a more than one room/

workspace 1 with benches for small kit, power tools piller drills ectra, as you get colder working on this kit as you not moving as much

workspace 2 for large kit fixing andlarge fabercation ect

storage area for big parts prjects waiting pallet racking not need off things

parts room for high use parts, comcubles, small parts, paint, specilist tools cutters spares etc

but it depens what your doing this is for a farm

and most of important are good lay out, nice work envoriment, good storage, lots of plugs, airline sockets and lights

make good use of the space and put things away when finished

Edited by NI Tree

it all depend on what you doing but i would have a more than one room/

workspace 1 with benches for small kit, power tools piller drills ectra, as you get colder working on this kit as you not moving as much

workspace 2 for large kit fixing andlarge fabercation ect

storage area for big parts prjects waiting pallet racking not need off things

parts room for high use parts, comcubles, small parts, paint, specilist tools cutters spares etc

but it depens what your doing this is for a farm

and most of important are good lay out, nice work envoriment, good storage, lots of plugs, airline sockets and lights

make good use of the space and put things away when finished

Sorry guess stating what I ain't it for would have been easier....

I'm setting up a full workshop. Repairing tools. Mowers etc. I was going to start gardening a while ago but noticed in my area they are two a penny but being able to fix tools there isn't a lot.

I need to put some good talents into use. And stop using my mates workshop.

With time a plan is coming together and setting up needs to get done. After all if I havnt got the space I can't take on work.

i been asked to sortout / tidy workshops for people and the problem ist they are not utlising the spaces at all well, bad storage and to close to the work bench there for the junk get spreed on to the work bench and then you can not find the bench:lol: so tools got droped so you spent ages looking for them:thumbdown:

i wanted to spend 1K on redoing the work shop ie plumb in the compresser more plugs, shelving, etc but no so it a mess again :lol: