Traditional tree surgeons

Buzzsurgeon

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that makes him an excellent climber why? Because he's willing to put his own safety and possibly the safety of others or the public at risk in order to get the job done quickly? Having speed & confidence is all well and good, but if you're not looking out for yourself then what's it worth? You're either dead, damaged or have given yourelf a bad name.

Ah yea- seen 'those ' climbers too...............

And that makes him an excellent climber why? Because he's willing to put his own safety and possibly the safety of others or the public at risk in order to get the job done quickly? Having speed & confidence is all well and good, but if you're not looking out for yourself then what's it worth? You're either dead, damaged or have given yourelf a bad name.

The comment was as I read it to show that some workers can achieve outstanding results with very little. So if they adopted newer practices how much more could they achieve, they could outshine most of us I expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't think of any possible reason where a flipline doesnt help the job. Keeps your rope free from falling branches using only one end of the rope and you just flip it across and snap in ready for ascent with rope to next branch. Surely fliplines are always essential kit???

• 2 weeks later...
How do you do big take down then? three strand rope has got no way near enough strength, and if your natural crotching then you put all the strain on one part of the rope instead of displacing it along the whole length. I know we used to get away with it, but it always felt just like that, "getting away with it"

just take smaller bits: 24mm polyprop still has a WLL of about a ton and to be honest you shouldnt be knocking pieces out that big anyway: your ground crew will hate you for it. Ideally, the ground crew should never have to pick up a saw, it should all come down in manageable chunks. For jobs where you simply cannot do this, well thats what the fandangled new kit is for, but even then its easy to trash the gear and there are so many components that could fail in the setup. With natural crotch rigging and polyprop rope the system is simple and the only thing that can fail is the rope. Providing your groundsman knows how to lower properly, polyprop can be used just as well and efficiently, and at about a £1 a meter its not such a heart break if you do ruin the rope.

• 9 months later...

Some shocking posts here guys!

I am from the old school, but I have found adding certain newer methods, definatley not all, not only enhances my ease of operations but efficiency too. New kit no man should be without, a cambium saver No1, for the trees sake if not for your rope wear and tear, these also make prussiking up a sweet affair. A bunch of tape strops for holding branches so your hands are WELL away from the cut, you just cant trust a saw.

And well, it has to be said the bull ropes pulleys and capston make rigging an absolute doddle, i wish i had all this years ago, the young guns have no idea, and those who say old school is still valid need to see me operate a large take down with the rigging setup we use!

i keep three good men busy all day, no problem. modern techniques and equipment have definatley been an advancment.

How many traditional tree surgeons are left, that use both ends of the rope and don't bother with flip lines, loops or strops. Only use three knots prussik, bowline and timber hitch.

24mm poly prop with topping strop and climbing spikes, job done.

A typical climb will involve branch rolling and climbing above anchor point and snatching the top off an old lombardy pollard, oh and the old 020 that weighed 3 ton and set on fire while using it and you had to be trained at Merrist Wood!!

you've just described my old man.