making use of workshop

delabodge

Do you use a bevel skew chisel to turn the final cut on the bats . one of the best chisels once mastered that leaves a finish without the need to sand ,and do you use a piece of wire to make the marks on the handles . Sorry for all the questions just interested what others use. Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi mutley,,,Ive spent my time making windsor chairs in the past, and struggle to justify the price I`d realistically need to sell them for, not everybody has £600 for a chair,,,but more people have a £10 for a rounders bat,or £5.00 for a englsh wood t-light, ,,,

I turn the rounders bats green, in the summer on a pole-lathe and in the winter on a power lathe, the preparation is the same, split down with a wedge,then axed,then drawknifed,,,,,turn either way, allow to dry,, if you split the log down and get your bats from quarters or eigths,,then they wont split,,,if you turn it out of a piece of branch wood it will,,,,,,,I then leave them in log nets in my spare room at home for a few weeks, till they dry out, leaving the ends on with the centres marked(for remounting on lathe) and sand to a finnish, cut ends of and hand sand!!!

dexta,,I use a 2" flat chisel to smooth off,the scew to mark the grooves,and a piece of wire to friction burn the decoration.

hi rik, they`ve got linseed oil on them, thinned out a bit, as it stops them going tacky, and gives the matt finnish I like, the colours are all natural,,,t,

took a few to the pub last night, to get some feedback and managed to get an order for 50 of them for wedding favours,,,,it was worth the £2.30 for my diet coke(not drinking january)

hi mutley,,,Ive spent my time making windsor chairs in the past, and struggle to justify the price I`d realistically need to sell them for, not everybody has £600 for a chair

There's a turner on here (rarely) whose premises are in a furniture factory: their chairs have a four-figure price attached and as for the antique ones... how about a very simple King James 1 kitchen chair in beech for £3000?!

Put your prices up and make chairs!