Anyone like the new Stihl oil & petrol tank caps?

Andrew Barrett

Do you prefer the new or old Stihl petrol & oil tank filler caps?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new or old Stihl petrol & oil tank filler caps?

• I like the new hand twist ones
    • I preferred the old type
    • I don't care / don't know

New ones would be great if they worked-but they don't.Seems to be pot luck as to whether the oil one has engaged or not. Had oil down my leg more than once so now check, check and check again. However wouldn't want to go back to having to use a screwdriver to tighten up. You would think that Stihl with all their resources could sort this one. Due to the above can't really cast a vote!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The new ones are a crappy design in my opinion, despite checking they are secure I have twice emptied bar oil over my leg & once emptied petrol.

If there was a way of getting rid of them & fitting proper screw tops they'd have been in the bin on day one.

N

in the pole how can 18 people not know or not care????

surely if you use a saw you would have used both types and have a preference, to say you dont know or care is just BS to me.

The new type is quicker granted, (when new) after its worn in things go wrong.

The old type can be fiddly to undo, especially with gloves but only had one ever leak fuel and replaced the O ring and as good as new (on a saw I purchased in 1989) that is good going, on the same saw the oil filler cap split but dont know how as it wasnt used for a while and wondered if the plastic in contact with oil for so many years effected it? dont know on that & the first one I had to replace on any saw.

Don't fill the oil to the top , if you do when you push down, the cap thinks its in place, you turn it, it doesn't lock, messy trousers.

Do it more than once and you should be banned from operating power tools lol.

I find it's only likely to happen on top handle and pole saw, double check, twisty twisty, 1.5 seconds of your life, job done.

Beats wrecking caps with a combo key.:)

If I remember correctly when the new caps were introduced here stateside the caps were recalled within a year and had to be replaced by the dealer. I had two machines with replacement caps and does not seem to be a problem. On my chainsaw I have to always be careful and make sure it is on correctly. And 1/2 the time I find either the fuel or the oil leaking on my chaps or boots. Pretty irritating and stupid as a bonus!.

easy-lift guy

When filling the 020, if you fill it right to the top, tip it back and a big air bubble will top and drop the level, then hey presto!

It won't happen on the petrol side because of the non spill spouts on most cans that auto stop when filling, they don't fill it right to the top, so leaves enough room for it to compress.

• 2 months later...
Don't fill the oil to the top , if you do when you push down, the cap thinks its in place, you turn it, it doesn't lock, messy trousers.

Do it more than once and you should be banned from operating power tools lol.

I find it's only likely to happen on top handle and pole saw, double check, twisty twisty, 1.5 seconds of your life, job done.

Beats wrecking caps with a combo key.:)

HI STEPHEN your right re old caps i had to fit 1 on my old 660 and 1 on my new 660 the new caps on the 361/441/880 are very good just don't fill to much thanks jon :thumbup: