Rat Control (or rather elimination)

TimberCutterDartmoor

If you shoot em, they often through pure instinct get up and go. I've shot many clean through the head( through the eye) only to see them fall, lay still for a few secs and then roll or run away. Spring traps with the peanut butter is easiest but watch out for other animals. I recently had a customer who had set spring traps only to catch a hungry Blackbird by its legs. Leaving bait around not the best unless you use bait boxes.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very annoying and clever rat in one of my sheds. I've been setting a Fenn trap for it, baited with Nutella. It's cocked and set right on the edge of the catch - I reckon if I walk up and down too hard I'll trigger it, but somehow it keeps being licked clean, yet the trap doesn't go off. I couldn't do it, so I have no idea how the rat is!

I'd rather trap it as I have barn owls around.

Alec

where there is one there are more. have posted before build a rat hotel 2x2 slab two courses of bricks with a small hole each end and manhole cover for top. feed up with peanuts to attract once they start using it swap for bait can get many bait stations in one then all get a good dose not just the dominant ones with single stations. rat traps will get the smaller rats but the alpha,s of the group avoid traps as to canny to get near them

I have a very annoying and clever rat in one of my sheds. I've been setting a Fenn trap for it, baited with Nutella. It's cocked and set right on the edge of the catch - I reckon if I walk up and down too hard I'll trigger it, but somehow it keeps being licked clean, yet the trap doesn't go off. I couldn't do it, so I have no idea how the rat is!

Alec

Alec, try hanging the bait over the trap in such a way as to ensure they have to step onto the trap in order to get the bait. I've had success with this method if they didn't get caught the first time around.

Typsey

If you shoot em, they often through pure instinct get up and go. I've shot many clean through the head( through the eye) only to see them fall, lay still for a few secs and then roll or run away. Spring traps with the peanut butter is easiest but watch out for other animals. I recently had a customer who had set spring traps only to catch a hungry Blackbird by its legs. Leaving bait around not the best unless you use bait boxes.

Shot one with a 12 bore at 20ft and cut it clean in half the front ran off and kept going for a good 100ft tough little feckers.

Alec

Do you mean you have been trying to lick the Nutella off but couldn't do it, I bet your tongues a bit sore.

Alec

Have you tried putting it under tread plate so it has to work to get at it.:thumbup: