log burner not producing much heat?

Hi

You got a good fire by burning the 2 x 2 so do this to get the stove up to a high temperature, dont forget its a big lump of metal to warm up and will not radiate heat till its hot.

Your logs do look to be a bit large for a small stove, try cutting them a bit smaller so there is more air round them, granny logs as known by, open your top air vent fully and close the bottom vent,if the stove is properly up to temperature as soon as you put a new dry log in it should ignite from the embers from the burnt wood if not your wood is too damp or your not up to working temperature.

Fill it as full as you can then keep topping it up as it gets half way down.When your surround has warmed up that too will radiate heat and your stove will then kick out more heat into your room.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the advise, it seems all the heat is going stright up? im thinking of getting a self power blower fan that site on the top, anu one used one of these?

Just type ecofan into the search on here and will find lots of threads about them and a new thread titled Vulcan fan.

thanks for all the advise, it seems all the heat is going stright up? im thinking of getting a self power blower fan that site on the top, anu one used one of these?

Not thinking the eco fan will help much.

Try putting the back of your hand in front of the spinning fan- you won't feel much draft. Unless mines not working properly that is. I think they are more for show

You're not supposed to feel a draught - that's the whole idea! They move a lot of air very gently so you don't really notice - not much fun sitting right in front of the average fan heater!

Almost everyone who uses an ecofan seems to reckon they're great - and I've come across a couple who have done proper tests to prove the difference they make. Popular on narrowboats too as the stove is usually at one end.

You're not supposed to feel a draught - that's the whole idea! They move a lot of air very gently so you don't really notice - not much fun sitting right in front of the average fan heater!

Almost everyone who uses an ecofan seems to reckon they're great - and I've come across a couple who have done proper tests to prove the difference they make. Popular on narrowboats too as the stove is usually at one end.

Do tell:001_rolleyes:

Do tell:001_rolleyes:

Have a look at the Ecofan web site.

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/

They do work, I will send any member here one on a sale or return basis and 90% of the fans I send out remain sold.

No draught, no noise and an increase in temps at head height of 4 deg C or 10 deg F. If in doubt stand on a chair in your room a couple of hours after you have got your stove going. No fan and its hot as hell up there, fan and its the same temp as head height.

A

Have a look at the Ecofan web site.

Ecofan - Find Eco fan stockists through the UK distributor

They do work, I will send any member here one on a sale or return basis and 90% of the fans I send out remain sold.

No draught, no noise and an increase in temps at head height of 4 deg C or 10 deg F. If in doubt stand on a chair in your room a couple of hours after you have got your stove going. No fan and its hot as hell up there, fan and its the same temp as head height.

A

Looks like I've got an original model. I see they have changed the design of the blades.

I couldn't get any proof of effectiveness because the page with the info. on it wouldn't open.

I will though try the head height thing.

Sounds like you are saying the air movement from the fan is enough to keep the air in the room moving enough to counteract convection currents. Let me check- purely scientific interest you understand. I'm not trying to wind you up but I like to see proof. I do though think even without the proven efficiency increase they are a good looking stovetop toy.