what sort of internet device is right for me? advice please...

jrose

Hi all,

After some advice - I've always used a desktop computer, but recently I'm struggling to keep on top of everything as it means I have to be at home, not distracted by anything else before I can deal with emails, paperwork etc... I think I might have to enter the 21st century, and I'm not sure how!

Ideally I'm after some sort of device that lets me check emails, browse a couple of websites and ideally allow simple editing of word and excel documents, also view PDF files. I've just been looking on PC World, and I'm very confused :confused1:

I seem to have the option of:

Laptop - expensive, big? So probably not the answer.

Netbook - like a laptop, but smaller? Can you go on the internet out and about, or just at home on wireless?

Ultrabook - I've not a clue what this is

Tablet - a basic one is about the price I'm looking at, but how much can you do with one? Is it more a laptop without the keyboard, or a glorified phone?

Smartphone - how much can you sensibly do with one of these?

Any advice gratefully received! Looking to spend roughly £150-200ish, so nothing really expensive just something to let me read emails etc in the truck at lunch :thumbup1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the tablet on that budget.. That's if you get the option of 3G like the iPad? My other half does most of what you want it for off our iPad.

Yeah, but tablets aren't really computers as such, they don't have word processors as such and you will probably need to been on line or use a service which is online.

It's a tough decision.

Edit...

Sorry didn't read the original post properly.

Probably get a smartphone with a big screen e.g.. Samsung galaxy something. Silky fox has a really good one that was cheap but has the processor power of one of the better phones, sorry forgot which one he has, but it was cheap. Just copy your emails to yourself or if you are not in 3g range then do a proper copy of your pdf's to your phone.

Edited by redmoosefaction

I think the new windows/Microsoft tablet can be used as a mini computer, more so than an iPad or similar. Personally, I have a desktop, iPhone and iPad and spend most of the time on my ipad. Easy to sit on the couch and browse the net, check emails etc without having to squint to see the screen. I suppose it depends exactly how much you want to do on it.

Your going to need to keep the desktop and supplement with the smartphone. I say smartphone because it's just more devices in one. Are you thinking of doing quotes on it, or just reading them. Don't forget your otterbox cover.

I'm going to start another thread on a quoting tool called arboristapp on Android and iphone

Adam

I wanted what you are after and opted for a notebook. It's aan HP Pavillion dm1 and does all you have spec'd. It's compact 11" wide, light and easy to carry. Cost about £300 though so more than you said you wanted to pay. Also you will need a dongle to use it if you don't have a handy wi fi connection

hi joe,hows it going,

i'm after the same thing and after spending the last month researching all available options ive concluded that the samsung galaxy note 2 is pretty much what i need .

you can use it for emails and browsing but it also runs an office suite that means you can edit word documents great for tree inspections, risk assesments loler stuff etc etc

i havent got it yet though as im due an upgrade in a month so planning on getting it for free.

happy new year geez billy