how old is to old ?

jimbomags

just because of the strain it puts on the body IMO, I have been a career climber since I was 21 (after my 3 years city and guilds) and although its rewarding its also very hard work.

Depends on your body and how you work/climb, I've been climbing for 20 years, I'm 43 now and my body hurts less today than it did ten years ago.

"You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on your body and how you work/climb, I've been climbing for 20 years, I'm 43 now and my body hurts less today than it did ten years ago.

"You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things"

got to agree wi dave,the key is keep active one way or another ,

I love climbing trees..do it with less effort than ever since changing to Spiderjack and pulley saver...im nearly 46;)

i enjoy being in trees too. Feels much safer hanging about in a tree than using scaffold and ladders while building. I find my back pains disappear as well. just wish legs wouldnt shake so much. Only climbed a few for fun but wanna do it properly and get paid for something i enjoy for a change.....

would never give up on property maintenance all together but the more skills you have the better. Need to do tickets soon though COS MY LOG PILES RUNNING VERY LOW !!

I love climbing trees..do it with less effort than ever since changing to Spiderjack and pulley saver...im nearly 46;)

I still enjoy it but I'm slow, rope management is a mess and whilst I migrated to army abseil line and petzl 30 years ago, to save wasted effort ascending, I never did keep up with new techniques. Muscle strain from lack of use is a big problem.

The economics is the killer, as you get old you have less time to recoup training/recertification costs. As you do less the cost of maintaining kit increases per job.

I'm on two days recertification for a different industry and was quite surprised my employer put me forward for it given the few years they will continue to employ me for.

I'm on two days recertification for a different industry and was quite surprised my employer put me forward for it given the few years they will continue to employ me for.

They no longer have a choice. Age discrimination legislation (Equality Act 2010) means amongst other things that you are no longer allowed to not put people forward for training/refreshment training based on age. You are also no longer allowed to presume the age at which they will leave (except under certain very precise circumstances).

There is also a certain logic here - if you consider that you will be a pretty safe bet for them recouping their investment for at least a fixed period, and you may stay on. Give someone in their early 20s the same training and it will make them far more immediately re-employable so they are actually more likely to lose out (not that they are allowed to take this into account).

Alec