Scariest Moment

Mark Bolam

my scariest moment is when i had just started in arb and was doing my school work experience, when lowering bits of willow, i was told to "sit into the rope" to put more of my weight on the end of it, but i got bored waiting for the climber to knock the lump off so i started playing with the end of the rope, and ended up tying a loop around my waist, as soon as i had done that, the lump was cut and as it fell down i was pulled forward by the weight of the timber and luckily i managed to stay on my feet. i S**t my pants that day.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was lighting a fire and it exploded and set fire to me burning hands and face luckly no scares now . by mistake i used a old can of fuel i had knocking around turned out to be diesel mixed with petrol when i smelt it could only smell the diesel so thourght it was ok ,as i never use petrol because how dangerous it is ,now i am realy careful and if i light fire with fuel it comes from a can labled ,old oil or diesel ,never again could of been so much worse

Our lass catching me on the Nigella thread!!!!!:scared1:

i think that thread should be rekindled lol

i think there is the scary just because you are scared and the dangerous nearly died scary.

my worst climbing was when a 40 foot head of a big spruce sat back on my 026 while up about 60 foot. the only reason i got such a frite is because my mum and dad turned up to watch with my 6month old son in the pram, and all i could think of is him with no daddy. after pulling myself together and and waiting for the right moment and the wind to drop over she went lovely, no one on the ground even new what happened except my friend who is a very experienced cutter. but it made me think twice about knocking out big tops to save time.

Groundy beginning to fell the tree I was still tied to. It wasn't until he paused to check his sink cut that he finally heard me screaming at the top of my voice. Pretty pant-wetting stuffs.

Where was your rope :confused1:

Could he not see the tail at the base of the tree????:confused1:

falling 25ft off spikes at college was made to spike on center d`s, soaking wet day i mean my stopper knott was like a tap running, landed on a hazel stump and my legs went tiggly couldnt move for about an hour then went to hospital and had crushed two disc`s in my back

i can remember that daryll i think it was an ash pole not much of a fun learning curve. my most scary was when we were felling a large beech and had to rig over a wall the climber was cutting into decent stem wood about a 5 ft piece in goes the gob then the back cut, after killing the chipper and three groundies later he heard us and realised he was still tied to said lump of wood think if he would have come down would have messed me up a bit in the head

once working on a big lombardy that had probaly been topped many times over the years resulting it massive cavities at the base of 40ft regrowth stems i was spiking up each stem and snatching out 20ft sections got to the last 3 up upright poles every thing going clock work decided not to strop on to the stem i was snatching the top of next which was the best decision i ever made as when it went over it tore half the base of the pollard points off including the lowering stem and the base of what i had just snatched but luckily not my anchore point the last stem remaining!!! some how what broke off managed to miss a green house by about 3 inches and fill up the garden with out braking any thing....i dont know why i changed my mind not to strop on to that stem and just sit on my anchore but im convinced i would of been dead if i didnt! hence to say i came out of that tree shaking and in a bit of a state!

Also had a twin stemmed ash with included bark that spilt out whilst rigging out over a shead lucky resting in to a lawsons cypress next to it but made me never put an achore point on the same stem as a lowering point again!