Gas bill when you have a log burner

Stephen Blair

We live in a 3 bed 400 year old thatched cottage with no double glazing and 2ft thick walls. I struggle to stop all the drafts and we heat mainly with a 7kw Jotul multifuel on 99% logs. To back this up we have an oil fired Rayburn.

We spend around £400 a year on oil and I haven't the faintest how much wood goes through the burner. I just keep stacking at one end and it goes out of the other. Elec is around £700 a year.

Rayburn goes on in the morning to generate hot water and a burst of heat fromn the rads. The OH would use it more if we fixed it. Currently it only heats the rads when the hot water is on and finding a Rayburn engineer that a) hasn't a full order book; b)doesn't charge £400 to get off his ar5e is would be another thread on its own.

Jotul is in the lounge at one end of the house. Ecofan on the top of the inset stove and another fan wafts the warm air back through the house.

Biggest trick is convincing the other half that 16-18 Deg.C is an acceptable. If she is too cold then put some bl**dy clothes on! ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our gas bills have just went nuts, I think I am going to get the electronic thermostat checked, our system is on, off, on, off all the time!!

I know how much work logs are, whether they are free or not.

So have mine Steve, since we switched to eon, they have now told us the £80 per month direct debit is going up to £205 per month! ( gas and electric) I said I know we are using more gas as we have a new baby in the house but that's crazy. They then said I owe them £250. I have just switched us back to British Gas who have looked at our figures and say our direct debit per month will be £90. We have started using the woodburner from when we get up to when we go to bed. Just wondering if an Eco fan would help??

So have mine Steve, since we switched to eon, they have now told us the £80 per month direct debit is going up to £205 per month! ( gas and electric) I said I know we are using more gas as we have a new baby in the house but that's crazy. They then said I owe them £250. I have just switched us back to British Gas who have looked at our figures and say our direct debit per month will be £90. We have started using the woodburner from when we get up to when we go to bed. Just wondering if an Eco fan would help??

Hi hodge they can not take £80 per month if you do not. Use it British gas told me £60 month I said no way LOL as we only use no Moore then £300 per year at one time I was £300 up so what I done moved then BS GAS ring me and ask y have you moved I said you take to much now it ok and it been ok for 2 years but you need to keep on to them and we run 16 KW euro heat stove it very good when very cold out side it soon warms the house up as you do have run it a full power and we can put large logs on thanks jon

we have switched off our thermostat, and going back to zapping in the morning and when we get in after 4pm:001_smile:

Silly question but I take it your properly insulated... cavity insulation and good loft insulation together took ours from £850 per year to the previously stated £500

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

There is loft insulation but we have to dormas that gave flat roofs that've aren't, also looked into the heat lost through windows, it's a fair bit.

cavity wall insulation and double glazed windows I think dropped our bills by 1/3 and the house stays warm all over no cold spots. Do as much of the loft as possible most goes through the roof. loft insulation is dirt cheap as most people get it free now.