New Firewood Business Help Me Out!!!!

Jkerry

Not really any helpful advice, here im just looking at doing it to earn an extra £300 a month or so, Not as a full time job, I just want to know the basics like what woods are good to burm ect, whats the cheapest best wood, and what are the best places to start looking to source wood. thanks

Dry wood burns best.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really any helpful advice, here im just looking at doing it to earn an extra £300 a month or so, Not as a full time job, I just want to know the basics like what woods are good to burm ect, whats the cheapest best wood, and what are the best places to start looking to source wood. thanks

Hi mate all you need to do is look it up on here there's lots of post re logs no going to hand it to you all the best with it jon

But there's a lot of con merchants who sell it on as soon as the cut surface is equal to or less than 20%, but the inner is still unseasoned (30+ %).

Not anyone on this forum I'm sure, but there are sharks about, but they're only cutting their business off, as a buyer once bitten twice shy, that's why I prefer to buy 4' lengths unseasoned, cut and split myself and wait a year or more to burn.

Im sorry but there has vbeen some very good advice ie use the serch function on the forum and look up firewood production etc and the machinery and any other keywords you will find a wealth of informantion there jusat takes a little effort and if you dont / wont put the effort into helping yourself by using the advice and serching will you really make it worth your while going into firewood and kindling production to earn £300 extra in your pocket in a month you will have to do a lot of hard work to make enough sales to make a profit.

Sorry if this sounds blunt but its all on here and people are willing to help those who are willing to help themselves :)

David

To get started, you can always buy some felled timber from the forestry commission, take it back to your yard or back garden, cut it into lengths then split it with an axe, and sell it in builders bags, dumpy bags, barrow bags etc. It's a bit of graft and handling etc, but if you enjoy it....equipment wise, well I have a Land rover with a large flatbed trailer- used for moving mini diggers, but ideal fo moving long lenghts of timber, a medium sized trailer, and two chainsaws...and a few axes. That's it!!

Im looking to setup a firewood Business and i guess here is the place to find out information! So i have a few places where im thinking of selling it. But my problem is sourcing the wood. Im not sure the best Cheapest place to buy it. Im looking at hiring a kindlet pro machine for 1 week, running it for 7 days, 10 hours a day and stock piling around 2-3thousand bags of Kindling, and also a log chopper and stock pilling logs, Then will hire it again once my stock has run out, till i can afford one, but they seem expensive, so i was thinking of getting offcuts from local joiners, i messaged a saw mill for a qoute, but i just couldnt find to many, and only one has replied, and i dont think it was cheap. So i was wondering, what is the best types of wood to sell as firewood, and to make kinderling ect, How much does it cost, do you guys sell or know where to buy it and could you maybe give me some estimate of how many logs you could get for a certain price, and how much bags or logs are worth at retail, Thanks guys i look forward to been part of the community.

I just read your post and I notice you use the word cheap quite a lot. You get what you pay for in this game, processors seem expensive you say? Well that because they are designd and made to cut and split big bits off wood so they have to be well made to start with then there is the life span of the machine say 20 years, a cheap machine won't last. Wood isn't cheap unless its rubbish. I think you need think about why you want to do this before anything else, if its to get rich then I wouldn't bother. It takes a lot of hard work and time to make a little. :)

I just read your post and I notice you use the word cheap quite a lot. You get what you pay for in this game, processors seem expensive you say? Well that because they are designd and made to cut and split big bits off wood so they have to be well made to start with then there is the life span of the machine say 20 years, a cheap machine won't last. Wood isn't cheap unless its rubbish. I think you need think about why you want to do this before anything else, if its to get rich then I wouldn't bother. It takes a lot of hard work and time to make a little. :)

I think that sums it up nicely :001_smile:

If you want to make a bit extra on the side your best bet is a few night shifts stacking shelves - reckon you'd make more for less effort.