Log identification

limelandscapes

Sorry to say but it looks a bit like white Ash as some folk call it ,or Willow as its real name.

I was scratching my head where I've seen that bark structure before and I do believe you are correct. Willow is a hardwood so no comeback on the supplier even though its the worst kind of hardwood.

The proof will be when it seasons, is it light weight like balsa or heavy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately horse chestnut. Did you actually mean 100 cubic metres or was that a typo?

Any evidence of rot/disease anywhere? There's a lot coming down around here due to the bleeding stem canker. I'm mixing a ten or so logs in with my loads and it looks exactly like that.

The bark pattern is wrong for willow- the ridges aren't deep or long enough. Willow doesn't have flat scales as in the picture. If you want to make absoloutely sure it's not willow, then peel the bark off (it should have fallen off willow by now if it was seasoned) and check the wood for short sharp spines. These are present on willow and are very painful when handling seasoned willow with the bark missing with bare hands!

If its chestnut and green mix some bark and the cambium layer with water, it should have a blue tinge to it. Looks like chestnut to me.

Only if it's sweet chestnut will the tannins show readily in contact with water and ferrous metal. The picture shows horse chestnut, which is unrelated to horse chestnut. :thumbup1:

Thats funny - I thought they were the same :001_tt2:

Bit unsure about the first part of this statement too, but no idea how to highlight it.

Whats the blue tinge coming out the chips on a rainy day then after working on one ?

The post you're referring to to I mean

Edited by kev7937
Cant write proper

Horse chestnut has a much lower tannin conten than sweet chestnut. Tannins are what react with ferrous metal and water to give that blue tinge. They are also what makes a wood durable for outdoor use- sweet chestnut is one of the best whilst horse chestnut will rot in a couple of years.

Oak also has a high tannin content, which is why a fresh sawn oak gate will have the bandsaw marks showing in black/blue.

I would also say think about the quantity he has bought, which is a large load which suggests to me a large harvest of something that grows quick and it was bought thinking it was a bargain, I would normally give Willow away rather than process it or have it sat around regenerating as it sometimes does , I don't know what was paid but when I do process Willow, which I did last week to mix in with some decent hard wood, I would sell Willow only at about £50 a m3 cut, split and free local delivery. Now don't all jump on me, this is just my own thoughts.

I would also say think about the quantity he has bought, which is a large load which suggests to me a large harvest of something that grows quick and it was bought thinking it was a bargain, I would normally give Willow away rather than process it or have it sat around regenerating as it sometimes does , I don't know what was paid but when I do process Willow, which I did last week to mix in with some decent hard wood, I would sell Willow only at about £50 a m3 cut, split and free local delivery. Now don't all jump on me, this is just my own thoughts.

That wood didn't come from the site Post - Loading a chipper ? just take a look at the Harvester picking up Willow, it looks remarkably similar .