Wood burning stove fitted at last.

Rupe

Building regs are for new builds and extensions, like you say later on its not illegal to fit your own stove.

My flue came from the same place that quoted me £1100 for fitting so it's the exact same stuff that they would use plus it was them who told me (and encouraged me) how to fit it, and they said its so easy that I don't need them to do it. It's size is exactly right to give the right amount of clearance at the rear and both sides. I would have loved a bigger one for more heat and bigger logs to go on it, but that would have contravened the regs. Also the hearth protrudes well over the required distance. Making sure things are done right is as important, if not morso (do you see what I did there?), than the paperwork to prove it.

I re wired my house and have done quite a bit of plumbing, moving radiators etc. I wouldn't do gas fitting as that's illegal!

I have no problem with people doing tree work, good on them for having a go, its only tree cutting after all!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys - I'm not having a go at you or anything - but this is one of those things that crops up quite often on forums. I guess most of you would be taking the mick about householders doing their own tree work, or other people ignoring TPOs or whatever - but it's fine to ignore building regs and so on where a stove is involved! Building regs ARE a legal thing at the end of the day - and if there are issues with insurance over a chimney fire, or the worst case scenario - carbon monoxide fumes leaking into next door - there WILL be issues and you WILL be liable.

"Other trades" are always trying to rip everyone off or that's how it's seen. The fact is that they probably view the £20 a metre liner off ebay the same way you might view a "professional" Chinese 90 quid saw painted orange - there's a world of difference between that and decent stuff.

There's nothing at all in law to stop you fitting your own stove - BUT why not finish it off properly and get it signed off by Building control - hell of a lot cheaper than using a HETAS fitter but you know you're covered if anything goes wrong. I know it all seems like unnecessary expense - but you could say that about car insurance too and I bet you pay that every year!

£800 is alot of money for 2 hrs work to chuck a flue down a chimney. If you have a heatass cert, insurance companies will look for something else so they can welch out of a claim. Britain has gone mad on over the top legislation even brussels dont adhere to half of their own rules they just make it up to see if the brits are stupid enough adopt it. They must be rolling around on the floor :lol:

There's nothing at all in law to stop you fitting your own stove - BUT why not finish it off properly and get it signed off by Building control - hell of a lot cheaper than using a HETAS fitter but you know you're covered if anything goes wrong. I know it all seems like unnecessary expense - but you could say that about car insurance too and I bet you pay that every year!

Building Inspectors round here charge more than my Hetas engineer !!.

Its all very well to take the michael ref safety sign off, but the installation of a stove is a safety critical work that comes under Building Regulation which is a legal statute and has some severe implications if ignored.

A guy near leicester did what the thread starter did, at the end of the day its not rocket science and the building regs covering stove installs are available free on line. This guy used twin wall fully insulated flue pipe, alas he bought cheap pipe which required a large combustible clearance. He was going through a bungalow roof, a pretty standard installation, but the pipes were to close to the roof rafters and set them alight. In short he lost his house and possessions, as there was no sign off his insurer invalidated his insurance. When a building inspector became involved the lack off sign off cost him a fine of £4400 on top of everything else. Suddenly a few hundred for a sign off seems not such a bad deal.

You have bought a very high quality stove ( I am a Morso dealer) and the install looks perfectly good, if you want to run what you have done past me then pm me and I will happily advise you. Then get a building inspector in to sign it off as safe to use, please.

Thanks

A

Building Inspectors round here charge more than my Hetas engineer !!.

Its all very well to take the michael ref safety sign off, but the installation of a stove is a safety critical work that comes under Building Regulation which is a legal statute and has some severe implications if ignored.

A guy near leicester did what the thread starter did, at the end of the day its not rocket science and the building regs covering stove installs are available free on line. This guy used twin wall fully insulated flue pipe, alas he bought cheap pipe which required a large combustible clearance. He was going through a bungalow roof, a pretty standard installation, but the pipes were to close to the roof rafters and set them alight. In short he lost his house and possessions, as there was no sign off his insurer invalidated his insurance. When a building inspector became involved the lack off sign off cost him a fine of £4400 on top of everything else. Suddenly a few hundred for a sign off seems not such a bad deal.

You have bought a very high quality stove ( I am a Morso dealer) and the install looks perfectly good, if you want to run what you have done past me then pm me and I will happily advise you. Then get a building inspector in to sign it off as safe to use, please.

Thanks

A

That is very different to what Rupe has done here, Rupe has simply lined an existing flue, the guy to mention was installing a new flue, not the same at all.

If insurers don't pay out because of the lack of paper work what happens about all the stoves that were fitted before the HETAS stuff came in???

PS, do you have a link to the case you have mentioned??

That is very different to what Rupe has done here, Rupe has simply lined an existing flue, the guy to mention was installing a new flue, not the same at all.

If insurers don't pay out because of the lack of paper work what happens about all the stoves that were fitted before the HETAS stuff came in???

PS, do you have a link to the case you have mentioned??

Spot on, my flue goes up the chimney and that used to have fire going up it

Found this:

The Log Pile Website - Wood Fuel - Chimneys

An efficient wood burning stove or boiler produces flue gases that are cooler than an open fire. For this reason it is necessary to install an insulated liner within an existing chimney when a wood burning stove is installed to ensure that there is a sufficient draw of air.

So maybe i'd need one if rayburn was more efficient & didn't have a very good draw with normal chimney....