Protos Forest now available!

Yve_Clark

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any major differences between the forest and climbing versions that you can see Tree spotter? Looks the same apart from the chin strap??

I think they are the same apart from the optional added chin straps.

I love the smooth surface. No sticking out ear defenders and gaps between the visor and helmet.

This is honest, really, truly the very first helmet that sits straight on my head.:thumbup:

To answer your question guys....

The difference between the two versions of Protos is that the Protos Forest is certificated to EN397 and the Protos Arborist, when it is released in early 2013, will be certificated to EN12492. The Protos Arborist will be supplied complete with the chin strap.

Both Protos versions will be available in the range of four colours; red/yellow, red/grey, orange/yellow and orange/grey.

:)

To answer your question guys....

The difference between the two versions of Protos is that the Protos Forest is certificated to EN397 and the Protos Arborist, when it is released in early 2013, will be certificated to EN12492.

:thumbdown: I beg to differ (pun intended)

What you mention is not the difference. There are only two physical differences.

Those differences are

1. a chin stap

2. Behind the in the helmets inside stamped letters "EN" there are different numbers.

Other than those two physical differences both helmets are identical!

Those certificates don't make it a different model. In fact, the chin strap package should come with an EN 12492 sticker so you can upgrade your EN397. :lol:

Hi Treespotter

The Protos Forest helmets in our stock are stamped EN397 only in the inside of the helmet. The Protos Arborist has one final test to be performed to pass the certification for EN12492, which will happen very soon.

The technical differences between the two versions are explained on this information leaflet from Protos:

Protos Technical Information

Hope this helps to explain :)

The technical differences between the two versions are explained on this information leaflet from Protos:

Protos Technical Information

Hope this helps to explain :)

Correct me if I am wrong here.

The Protos is designed to meet and exceed all specs.

The top listing in the PDF (in red) are the specs that a Forestry helmet EN 397 needs to meet.

The second listing (in black) are the specs that a Climbing helmet EN 12492 needs to meet.

The third and last (in blue) are all the specs that the Protos Integral meets.

As you can see it's the neck strap that makes the difference. IMHO it's the clip that is the key factor in this difference.

Its something I never quite get. If forest helmets are certificated to withstand top impact etc and climbing are above that with side impact as well and exceed forestry helmets EN number then why not make all helmets to the higher standard??

I know which helmet I prefer when looking up a tree - the one with the chin strap!!

This lid looks great, i look forward to trying one on