Tree close to house advice

Treemoose

Can't fell a tree on the basis it might cause damage - it either is or isn't causing damage to the building. If we worked on the basis of what might happen we’d have bugga all trees left!!

A 30% reduction wont do anything regarding subs and the roots will still be in place and potentially make the situation worse as the tree puts on new growth and it's demand on water increases as it tries to replace the foliage lost.

That said, in that situation I wound rather the tree was felled and replaced with something else further away - how about if they offer to pay for its removal/replace?

But the point is its not their tree

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain why it is to close to the house? Seems a silly assumption to make based on those photograph / perspective?

I will try. At least over here in Florida a tree planted that close to a structure as I have stated before is an accident waiting to happen. As a general rule the root system of that tree much less any other here is 3 times the size of the canopy. This root system will seek out and find a sewer line or septic system is a short period of time. Plumbing issues or nightmares come to mind:sneaky2:

Second would include foundation damage and third would be storm related damage.

easy-lift guy

I will try. At least over here in Florida a tree planted that close to a structure as I have stated before is an accident waiting to happen. As a general rule the root system of that tree much less any other here is 3 times the size of the canopy. This root system will seek out and find a sewer line or septic system is a short period of time. Plumbing issues or nightmares come to mind:sneaky2:

Second would include foundation damage and third would be storm related damage.

easy-lift guy

Why do they seek out the shitty water and not the clean stuff coming in?

Whats the other tree behind the birch- would it be best to persuade the neighbours to fell the birch and let the smaller one take over

I would think they were both planted at the same time so the neighbour didn't have to look at the side of the house. Check the soil isn't shrinkable clay. though the birch was planted after the houses were built so am I right in saying removal wouldn't cause a problem.

My view is that the birch is bullying the house and it's time for it to go.

People shouldn't plant right up against their boundary- it's only going to cause friction.

Can someone please explain why it is to close to the house? Seems a silly assumption to make based on those photograph / perspective?

These things happen :001_huh:

The houses in this road were built in the 60s and the road is silver birch avenue

So I wonder if this tree was planted because of the name or the road name after the tree(s) I'll see if I can get some better pics and a couple measurements

Whats the other tree behind the birch- would it be best to persuade the neighbours to fell the birch and let the smaller one take over

I would think they were both planted at the same time so the neighbour didn't have to look at the side of the house. Check the soil isn't shrinkable clay. though the birch was planted after the houses were built so am I right in saying removal wouldn't cause a problem.

My view is that the birch is bullying the house and it's time for it to go.

People shouldn't plant right up against their boundary- it's only going to cause friction.

I'll see if I can check out the the other tree

I'm sure i have read about it but how do I test if the clay is shrinkable or not?

Clay is a shrinkable soil, you can carry out further tests to establish the plasticity index (Atterberg limits) but there are far simpler tests to determine whether or not it is clay.

Does it polish when a spade is pushed through it?

Can it be rolled into a very fine sausage? (and then bent into a ring shape?)

Look on the bright side - if the tree falls onto the house it will have almost no momentum by the time it strikes the building; far safer than a tree further away!