Rates of pay?

Treeman1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Threads Guys!!!

I'll keep my junior darwinists comments to myself!!

Somebody teach me how to cut n paste previous threads to the standard! You know it'll make you feel good........ imparting the knowledge!

With regards to " The Divorce Rate high around here!"

Not with the next generation " Survival of the fittest" just spent some quality time with the family! Spent all day submitting a tax return and sorting out marketing and new biz insurance.... then spent the emergency gas light with Wifey watching 8 out 10 gave her total control whilst I caught up with this thread with due dilligence!......Kids tucked up in bed......well! ....our bed! Between us keeping the bond! Marital Bliss Ahhhh!

• 2 months later...

i used to have a climber who i paid £150-200 a day... but he used to get hell lot done.. he was gettin bit old and didnt want regular work..

he was only climber i'd ever used since i started tree work and after putting the word around was amazed how many climbers there are around and some willing to work for £80 day... some willing to travel for nearly 2 hours to earn £150 a day...

all i do no is some are very slow, and my pricing structure would have to change..

some are quick but wont help on ground. at all. and sit in truck once they've got tree down.. [they only did one day]. a good climber is worth as much as you can afford to pay him..

if they will just do odd day here and there then prob worth at least £50-80 day more than one who wants regular work..

the one who worked for me for £180 day would do in 3 days what another who wants £150 a day would take 5 days to do..

all i no is no matter how good they are theres always someone round corner just as good and prob cheaper...

Back to the OP, I must admit I read the first few pages and skipped to here, but if you are regularly working for a company, they should be employing you surely? You are being denied employees entitlements, the HMRCE is being denied taxes that should be due and NI payments. This state of affairs is being addressed by the Taxman currently, chasing up those who are not paying their dues, and they are now targetting this industry.

Target this industry or any other and the taxman will find self employed guys who pay more NI and more Tax than employed. Of course he will also find guys that do the opposite.

As a self employed guy I love being able to work all over and not having to rely on one company to keep me afloat. If work dries up with one company it doesn't bother me one bit. Whereas if I was employed and work dried up I'd be on my backside having been given the toe.

So I have to pay my own tax and NI, fund my own PPE saws and gear, therefore I can charge more. And from what I've seen with local companies, I can get more done in a day than the average employed climber.

(That's not to say there aren amazing employed climbers out there, way better than me!)

Sent using my pudgy fingers on my phone.

Some have to sacrifice the holidays and even a regular wage for a long period just to get the business etablished and then staying in business and being able to continually compete with the multitude of new outfits, one man bands, lawn mowing companies that can "trim your tree Mrs" and various others? well that's a whole other ball game.
]

New outfits? Just like they were you mean?

Nothing wrong with one man bands or lawn mowing companies that dabble in small tree work. Can be a profitable buisiness model. It certainly worked for me when I was getting started. Just because you can use a chainsaw doesn't mean you're special. Particularly with the huge amount of college leavers with their CS courses under their belt.

I'm with those who mentioned the cost of living. Thats the real issue. The fact that this country is screwed. You can't tell me that the current generation has the same opportunities (as things stand, it may get better but I doubt it) as the generation that went before.

I blame the baby boomers and the banks.

*closes cat box quietly, exit dovecote stage left...:laugh1:*